To determine the correct rate of pay for workers on covered projects, agencies, contractors and subcontractors need to refer to the booklet titled Prevailing Wage Rates for Public Works Contracts in Oregon. Prevailing wage rate booklets are published twice a year, usually in January and July. Amendments to the rates are generally published twice a year, usually in April and October.
Projects Subject to State Law Only
To find the correct rate of pay on projects subject to Oregon’s PWR law, use the following steps:
1. When was the project first advertised for bid?
Generally, the rates in effect at the time the bid specifications are first advertised are those that apply for the duration of the project.
2. What type of work is the worker performing?
Using BOLI’s Definitions of Covered Occupations booklet, find the definition that most closely matches the actual work being performed by the worker. If you have any questions about work classifications, contact BOLI at the number below.
3. Where is the work being performed – in which region?
Find the occupation in the correct region pages associated with the county where the project construction is taking place.
4. Is there a rate listed next to the classification?
If so, use it. The rate is made up of an hourly base rate plus an hourly fringe rate. It is the combination of the base rate plus the fringe rate that is due the worker on an hourly basis. (See Appendix A for information on how to calculate allowable hourly credits for employer contributions to benefit plans.)
5. If the region page directs you to “See Appendix,” use the rate listed in the Appendix pages. This rate may include a group number, shift differential, hazard pay and/or zone pay which are added to the base rate.
6. Apprentices must be paid the full fringe rate in those regions where the appendix rate does not apply. However, if the book directs you to “See Appendix,” and the worker is registered in a bona fide apprenticeship program, you may contact BOLI at (971) 673-0839 for the applicable hourly fringe rate. These fringe rates are also posted on BOLI’s website at www.oregon.gov/boli.
7. If you still need help, CALL BOLI at (971) 673-0839.
Projects Subject to State and Federal Laws
ORS 279C.838 requires the higher of either the state prevailing wage rates or federal Davis-Bacon rates to be paid to workers on non-residential projects in Oregon subject to both the state PWR law and federal Davis-Bacon Act. To find the correct rate of pay on such projects, use the steps listed above to find the correct state prevailing wage rate, then compare the state rate to the appropriate rate from the applicable federal wage determination. The worker must be paid the higher of the two rates.
Apprentices being paid the federal prevailing wage rate must be paid hourly fringe benefits in accordance with the provisions of the apprenticeship program. If the apprenticeship program does not specify fringe benefits, apprentices must be paid the full amount of hourly fringe benefits listed in the Davis-Bacon wage determination.
For assistance in finding the applicable federal wage determination for the project, check with the project’s public agency. The federal wage determinations can also be found online at www.wdol.gov.
If you need help comparing the state and federal prevailing wage rates, CALL BOLI at (971) 673‑0839.