Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Who Needs To Be Licensed

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB). This includes roofing, siding, painting, carpentry, concrete, on-site appliance repair, heating and air conditioning, home inspections, tree service, plumbing, electrical, floor covering, manufactured dwelling installations, land development and most other construction and repair services.
A CCB license is also required for: 

  • those who purchase homes, fix them up themselves and resell them.
  • material suppliers that receive compensation for installing or arranging the installation of the materials. 
Steps to Become Licensed

To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:

  • Once you have determined who the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) will be, he/she must complete the prerequisite training and test. Click here for information on the training and test.
  • File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Secretary of State, Corporation Division at www.filinginoregon.com or 503-986-2200. 
  • Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s). Click here to determine your proper bond amount. 
  • Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance, with Construction Contractors Board as the Certificate Holder, in the required amount. Click here to determine your proper insurance amount. 
  • Obtain worker’s compensation insurance, if applicable.  www.cbs.state.or.us/wcd/index.html or 503-947-7810.
  • Obtain other employer account numbers, such as state and federal tax numbers, if applicable.  www.oregon.gov/DOR.
  • Submit a completed CCB application with your original bond, insurance certificate AND the $325 fee for a two year license.

Prerequisite Training & Testing Requirements
New CCB licensees are required to complete 16 hours of training on law and business practices, and pass a state test.  
The person that takes the training and passes the test is the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) for the license. The RMI must be an owner in the business or a designated employee and exercise management or supervisory authority over the construction activities of the business. Oregon law requires that a licensee must always have a RMI.
The training and testing is valid for 24 months from the date the training was completed. Training and testing that is past the 24 months from the date of the completed training will not be considered for the purposes of fulfilling the requirements set forth in OAR 701.122.
Click here for more information on Contractor Education.
Liability Insurance

Liability insurance is a contractual relationship between a contractor and an insurance carrier to reimburse a third party (such as the consumer) for property damage or personal injury loss caused by the contractor.

Click here for more information on liability insurance.