How many hours do y​ou need?

Unless exempt, all re​sidential contractors need the following continuing education every two year license period: 

Licensed by the CCB for less than six years? 
You need 8 additional hours of approved courses. 

Where can I find approved classes?

Generally, only courses listed in the Course Catalog on this website are approved for credit. 

The exception: Courses from accredited colleges and universities or state or federal government agencies. These courses may not be listed in the Course Catalog. However, if they pertain to business practices or help you improve your trade and are at least an hour in length, the CCB  accepts them for credit.

How does the CCB track cre​dits?

The CCB only has records of the three hours of courses you take from us. 

You may need to send the CCB course completion certificates from courses you take through other approved providers. Some course providers notify us when you complete a course; others do not. If you are uncertain, ask the education provider or send the certificate to the CCB.

Send course completion proof to​. Make sure your CCB number is on the certificate or in the email!

You may send the certificates as soon as you complete the class or wait until closer to renewal. However, residential contractors cannot renew a license until the CCB has proof they met the continuing education requirements. 

Contractors who mail in license renewal forms may submit certificates at that time.

Licensed for commercial and residential work?

Contractors licensed for both commercial and residential work are subject only to the commercial education requirements. 

​​​​​​Expired or lapsed license​?

If your license expired or lapsed (lack of bond or insurance) more than two years ago, do not take continuing education classes. You must re-apply for a license and take the pre-license training and test. Call the CCB at 503-378-4621.

Who is exempt from continuing education?

    Some residential and commercial contractors with other Oregon licenses are exempt from CCB continuing education. Here's a list:

    • Architects (if an owner or officer is a licensed architect)
    • Developers
    • Engineers (if an owner or officer is a licensed engineer)
    • Electricians (if an owner, officer or employee is a licensed electrician)
    • Plumbers (if an owner, officer or employee is a licensed plumber)
    • Boiler contractors
    • Elevator contractors
    • Renewable energy contractor
    • Pump installation contractors
    • Limited sign contractors
    • Landscape contractors who are construction contractors
    • Home inspectors (must still complete continuing education for the home inspector certification but no longer for the CCB license)
    • Master builders (if actively licensed as such through the Building Codes Division)​


​​​​​​​Education help

Course catalog​​

The catalog is the best way to find approved  classes. 

Email course complete certificates

Send these to​. Include your CCB number.

See who is approved to offer classes​

Many contractors get advertisements from businesses offering continuing education. This is a list of businesses and other groups that the CCB approved to offer courses. ​

CCB classes