Laws and rules

Law changes effective in 2014

This is a summary of recent changes in law and rules that affect contractors. 

Continuing education requirements: residential contractors
All residential contractors except those listed below must take at least eight hours of classes during each two-year licensing period.

Contractors licensed less than six years without a responsible managing individual with at least six years’ experience need an additional eight hours, for a total of 16 hours. 

These residential contractors do not need to complete any continuing education:
  • Residential developers
  • Residential locksmith contractors
  • Home inspection contractors
  • Home services contractors
  • Home energy performance score contractors
  • Plumbing contractors and electrical contractors that have an active business license with Oregon Building Codes Division
  • Contractors that are owned by, or have an officer or manager who is a registered architect or a licensed professional engineer
Required classes
  • All contractors: Three hours of CCB-developed courses in laws, regulations and business practices. 
  • All contractors: Five hours of Series A courses.  These are business management courses (marketing, accounting, bidding, etc.)  and code or safety classes. 
  • Newer contractors: Contractors who need an additional eight hours of classes can take any combination of Series A and/or Series B classes to meet the requirement. Series B courses are specific to your trade or craft (roofing, excavation, etc.)  and include energy efficiency. 
The CCB must now approve all continuing education providers and approve or register all courses. Ifyou cannot find a class in the CCB’s online course catalog, it does not count for credit.  

Residential contract content

Certain wording is no longer required. Contracts no longer need to:
  • Include a statement that you are licensed since the contract already has your license number.
  • List notices you must provide.
Learn more about what contracts must contain.

License endorsements and certification
The 2013 legislature created new license endorsements:
  • Residential locksmith services contractor
  • Home inspector services contractor
  • Home services contractor
  • Home energy performance services contractor (assigns home energy performance scores)
Contractors selecting one of the new, limited scope endorsements are not required to complete pre-license training, pass the pre-license test or complete continuing education.  

The 2013 legislature also created an individual certification for a home energy assessor. These individuals must complete a training program authorized by the Department of Energy to obtain a certificate from CCB.  They must renew their certificates each year. 

Workers’ compensation

Contractors using leased workers are now categorized as nonexempt contractors. A nonexempt commercial contractor does not need to have (personal election) workers’ compensation insurance for its owners or officers.  The leasing company provides workers’ compensation insurance for the workers. 

Learn more here.  If you are currently using leased workers and listed as an exempt contractor, you need to contact CCB and change your status.

Handyman exemption

The threshold for performing certain work without a contractor license increased from $500 to $1,000. To qualify for the exemption, a contractor must perform work that is casual, minor or inconsequential.  This means that the work cannot:
  • Be structural in nature
  • Affect health or safety (this includes work on target housing built before 1978 or child-occupied facilities that may contain lead-based paint) 
  • Include work performed as a subcontractor to a licensed contractor