First, do you need a license?

Generally, Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed. Learn more​.

Licensing steps:


  1. Determine the type(s) of structures you will work on.
    This tells you what type of license endorsement you will need.

  2. Complete pre-license training and take the test.
    Select a Responsible Managing Individual to complete the prerequisite training and test. Find a list of approved pre-license educators here.

  3. File your corporation, LLC, and/or assumed business name.
    File with the Oregon Secretary of State, Corporation Division or call 503-986-2200.

  4. Submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s).  
    Find your proper bond amount.

  5. Provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
    Make sure it names Construction Contractors Board as the Certificate Holder.

  6. Obtain workers’ compensation insurance if you will be hiring employees.
    For more information about workers compensation, talk to an insurance agent, visit the Oregon Workers' Compensation Division website or call 503-947-7810. Learn more about who is exempt and non-exempt here.​

  7. Obtain other employer account numbers.
    You may need state and federal tax numbers, for example. For information, contact the Oregon Department of Revenue​​​ at 503-378-4988 or the Internal Revenue Service​ at 1-800-356-4222.

  8. Complete an application
    Select the application that coincides with the endorsement type you will be applying for:
    Residential only
    Commercial only
    Both residential and commercial (dual)​

  9. Submit your application. ​Must include:
    • ​Your original bond (Do not submit separately)
    • Insurance certificate (Do not submit separately)
    • $250 fee for a two-year license​​ (Visa, Mastercard, Discover or check)​


Get a CCB application

Mail or deliver your application to the CCB. 

PO Box 14140, Salem, OR 97309-5052

201 High St SE Ste 600
Salem, OR 97301-3416