Required pre-license training
To obtain a CCB license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Complete at least 16 hours of training on law and business practices from an approved education provider and pass the Oregon exam.
The person who takes the training and passes the test is the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) for the license. The RMI must be an owner or employee of the business and manage or supervise its construction activities.
A license must always have a RMI. If your RMI leaves, notify the CCB immediately. You must replace the former RMI with someone:
- Who has passed the test or
- Someone who has served as an RMI within the last 24 months.
Already passed the NASCLA commercial exam?
Some contractors, particularly those operating in multiple states, have taken and passed the NASCLA examination for commercial general building contractors. If this is you, you must still pass the Oregon exam. However, the 16-hour training is not required. Contact the CCB for details. (503-934-2227)
You must apply for your CCB license within 24 months of passing the test.
If you are already a contractor and your CCB license lapses for more than 24 months, you must retake training and pass the test again.
- The CCB approves all pre-license trainers for the 16-hour course. They are listed here.
- Once you complete training, your training provider alerts PSI so you can schedule your exam.
About the test
The test is based on the Oregon version of the NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management (1st edition). The cost of the manual may be included in your fee for the training so check with the training provider.
Updates to the manual can
affect test questions so it's best to use the most current version of the manual.
You can purchase the guide through NASCLA. A Spanish translation of the manual is available, as well.
About three days after you finish pre-license training, you can schedule the test through the approved test administrator.
You can use the manual during the open-book test. You cannot take loose paper into the testing facility so make changes or corrections directly into the manual. Do not write in the manual during the test, however.
There are 80 multiple choice questions on business practices and law. A passing score is 70 percent (56 correct answers).
Register for the test with PSI
- PSI Services is the test administrator. You cannot register to test until your pre-license educator alerts PSI that you completed training.
- If you passed the NASCLA exam and sent the results to the CCB, the CCB will alert PSI that you are eligible for the exam. If you have questions about this process, email the CCB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you are ready to schedule your test, the PSI candidate bulletin gives information about test locations and procedures. Register here for a test date.
- You have three hours to
complete the test, and the cost is $60.
Veterans: You may be able to obtain
reimbursement for the costs of any tests you take for this license. Contact the U.S. Dept. of Veterans
Affairs at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/licensing_certification.asp or
1-888-442-4551; or Oregon Dept. of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-828-8801 for more
After the test
You will get your test score immediately after completing the test.
If you pass: Include your test score report along with a completed CCB application, fee, original surety bond and certificate of liability coverage.
If you fail: You can test again.