Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Commercial Continuing Education (CCE)

When does the CCE requirement start?

Beginning July 1, 2010, contractors with a commercial endorsement will be required to have completed continuing education (CE) at the time of their license renewal. (For example: If the renewal date for a commercial contractor’s CCB license is July 2, 2010, that contractor must have completed the required number of CE in order to renew the license.

Back to Top

Who takes the CCE training?

For a commercial contractor, the CE must be taken by key employees of the business. A "key employee" is an owner or employee who is one of the following:
  • Corporate officer
  • Manager
  • Superintendent
  • Foreperson
  • Lead person
  • Any other person who exercises management or supervisory authority over the construction activities of the business

Back to Top

How much CE is required?

CE may be obtained by one key employee or by multiple key employees. The total number of hours required depends on the contractor's endorsement level and how many key employees the business had on the date of the previous license issue or reissue. 
Example: The contractor’s license (CGC1 or CSC1) will renew on July 1, 2010. Two years earlier, on July 1, 2008 (the date of the previous issue or reissue) the contractor had 3 key employees. Using the chart below, the contractor can determine 48 CE hours are needed for renewal.
 Commercial Endorsement 
# of
Key Employees
 # of
CE Hours
Commercial General Contractor Level 1 (CGC1) or
Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 1 (CSC1)
5 or more
Commercial General Contractor Level 2 (CGC2) or
Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 2 (CSC2)
Doesn't matter
Commercial Developer (CD)
The number CE hours are for the two-year licensing period.

Back to Top

What topics qualify as training?

Topics may include construction means, methods, and business practices. Construction
means and methods include training on topics such as:
  • Installation methods
  • Best practices
  • Product training
  • Construction science
  • Or any other training that provides contractors with information on building better structures or operating a successful business
By law, providers for continuing education can be:
  •  Community colleges, colleges, universities
  •  Trade schools
  •  Trade or business associations*
  •  Professional societies
  •  Private companies
  •  Public agencies
  •  Product manufacturer training*
  •  In-house training
 *This can include workshops and trainings held at trade shows.

Providers for CCE are not approved by the CCB. At present, CCB doesn't have a list of CE providers. The CCB is looking at ways to make this information available on its website.

Back to Top

Is anyone exempt from the CE for commercially endorsed contractor

Commercial Developer: The CE requirements do not apply if a contractor is licensed only as a commercial developer.
In addition, contractors regulated under ORS 479.510 - 479.945 or ORS 480.510 - 480.670, or ORS chapter 693 are not subject to the CE requirements. This includes but is not limited to, commercially endorsed contractors who are licensed to work as:
  • Electrical contractors
  • Plumbing contractors
  • Boiler or pressure vessels
  • Elevator contractors
  • Renewable energy contractors
  • Pump installation contractors

Back to Top

What if I have both a commercial and residential endorsement?

Contractors having both endorsements must fulfill the requirements established for the residential continuing education requirement and the commercial requirement. The hours taken for the residential obligation will apply towards the commercial obligation

Back to Top