Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Who Needs To Be Licensed
Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB). This includes roofing, siding, painting, carpentry, concrete, on-site appliance repair, heating and air conditioning, home inspections, tree service, plumbing, electrical, floor covering, manufactured dwelling installations, land development and most other construction and repair services.
A CCB license is also required for: 

  • those who purchase homes, fix them up themselves and resell them.
  • material suppliers that receive compensation for installing or arranging the installation of the materials.
Click here for an easy to read summary of who needs a license.
Back to the Top
Steps to Become Licensed
To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:

  • Once you have determined who the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) will be, he/she must complete the prerequisite training and test. Click here for information on the training and test.
  • File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Secretary of State, Corporation Division at www.filinginoregon.com or 503-986-2200. 
  • Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s). Click here to determine your proper bond amount. 
  • Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance, with Construction Contractors Board as the Certificate Holder, in the required amount. Click here to determine your proper insurance amount. 
  • Obtain worker’s compensation insurance, if applicable.  www.cbs.state.or.us/wcd/index.html or 503-947-7810.
  • Obtain other employer account numbers, such as state and federal tax numbers, if applicable.  www.oregon.gov/DOR.
  • Submit a completed CCB application with your original bond, insurance certificate AND the $325 fee for a two year license.
Back to the Top
Filling out the CCB application
Please be sure to review both the instructions and the application.
CCB Application and Instructions Packet 

Choosing your business entity
The CCB developed the below step-by-step slide presentations based on business entity to assist contractors filling out the official licensing application. Please do not use the presentation slides in place of the official application.
Please click on the presentation below that corresponds with your chosen business entity.
To read a summary of the accepted business entities for CCB licenses, see page 4 of the Instructions (above).
Sole Proprietor
Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
Partnerships or Joint Ventures
Limited Partnerships

The licensing endorsements will eventually reflect the type of work the licensee will be allowed to do.
Contractors licensed with a residential endorsement may perform work on the following structure types:
  • Residential
  • Small commercial

Contractors licensed with a commercial endorsement may perform work on the following structure types:
  • Large commercial
  • Small commercial

Contractors that will perform work on residential and large commercial structures must obtain a dual endorsement.
Contractors who perform work on only small commercial structures may choose either a residential or a commercial endorsement.
Back to the Top
Prerequisite Training & Testing Requirements
New CCB licensees are required to complete 16 hours of training on law and business practices, and pass a state test.  
The person that takes the training and passes the test is the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) for the license. The RMI must be an owner in the business or a designated employee and exercise management or supervisory authority over the construction activities of the business. Oregon law requires that a licensee must always have a RMI.
The training and testing is valid for 24 months from the date the training was completed. Training and testing that is past the 24 months from the date of the completed training will not be considered for the purposes of fulfilling the requirements set forth in OAR 701.122.
Click here for more information on Contractor Education.

Back to the Top
Common License Changes and Requests
Contractors may have changes or requests to their CCB license or need information on the following:
  • Inactivating your CCB license
  • Reactivating your CCB license
  • Renewing your CCB license
  • Make address or contact changes
  • Change official personnel such as RMI, members or corporate officers
  • Creating a new business entity (sole proprietorship, corporation, LLC, etc.)
  • Change an assumed business name
  • Liability insurance and bond
  • Request duplicate license card  
  • Other frequently asked questions on licensing
Click here for information on these topics and more.

Back to the Top
Special Certification/Licenses (Locksmiths, Home Inspectors, etc)
Some professions relating to the construction field (home inspectors, electricians, plumbers, locksmiths and others) require special certifications or licenses. 

In addition to a CCB license, individuals or businesses performing specific work may need a special individual or business certification and license.

CCB Licenses

Home Inspectors


Licensed Certified Lead-based Paint (LBP) Activities

Back to the Top
Liability Insurance
Liability insurance is a contractual relationship between a contractor and an insurance carrier to reimburse a third party (such as the consumer) for property damage or personal injury loss caused by the contractor.

Click here for more information on liability insurance.

Back to the Top