Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
DAS Fleet Frequently Asked Questions
What does it cost to rent a day-use vehicle?
FAQs as of 7/27/2013
The daily rate is based on the type of vehicle that is reserved.  For current daily rates see the Vehicle Rental Rates page.
The daily rate is based on a 24 hour period starting the minute the state vehicle is picked up and ending the minute it is returned.  For example, if the state vehicle is picked up at 7:01 a.m. and returned the next day by 7:00 there will only be a one day charge. However, if the vehicle isn’t returned until the next day by 10:00 a.m. a two day charge.
The agency is also charged for fuel purchased during the trip.
See DAS Fleet Internal Operating Policies (pdf) for other charges that may be assessed.


Where do I park my personal vehicle?
Short-term customer parking is located to the right when you first turn into the Motor Pool.  If you plan on being away overnight you may park your vehicle in our gated North lot, which is across from our shop’s parking lot. To do that you will first need to pick up the vehicle from the front office.
Further details on North lot use (pdf)
Motor Pool map (pdf) 

Where do you go to pick up the state vehicle?
Once you park your vehicle you will walk towards the main building. The front office entrance is behind the fuel pumps. 
Motor Pool map (pdf)

What do I do if the state vehicle breaks down?
If the state vehicle breaks down, call 1-800-378-0077 and talk with one of the Field Services Coordinators. If you call after business hours, you will be given another number to call.
There is a bright orange sticker with the 1-800 phone number on the front of the blue vehicle packet for all daily rental, seasonal, and permanently assigned vehicles. For daily rental vehicles the phone number can also be found on the back of the green Locator Card (pdf) that is in the vehicle packet.
See DAS Fleet Internal Operating Policies (pdf) 107103-4 for emergency Voyager card use.

How do I reserve a day-use vehicle?
To make a reservation call the Motor Pool at 503-378-4377.
You will be asked a series of questions in order to make the reservation. To expedite the process, see the Reservation Information form (pdf) to make sure you will have all necessary information before placing the call.

What are charges for no-show or failure to cancel a reservation?
A “No-show” is a reservation that hasn't been picked up after two hours from the scheduled reservation time. This applies to all vehicle types. This fee is $25 per occurrance. 
The fee for cancelling or re-scheduling a reservation for an SUV, Passenger Van, Cargo Van, or Pick-up with less than 48 hours notice is $25.

How do I get a motor pool checkout card?
The Checkout Card Application Form can be found at: http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/EAM/FPS/pages/forms.aspx. Complete all applicable information including an authorized agency signature. Directions for submitting the application are found on the form.

How do I get a monthly rental vehicle & what is the cost?
The  Request an Assigned Vehicle/SUV Justification Form can be found at: http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/EAM/FPS/pages/forms.aspx. Complete all applicable information including an authorized agency signature. Directions for submitting are found on the form.  
The request is evaluated and vehicles are assigned based on type of vehicle required and availability. If you currently use a state vehicle routinely for eight or more daily trips per month, assignment of a vehicle on a monthly basis is the most cost-effective means of travel.  
See Vehicle Rental Rates for long-term and seasonal assigned vehicle rates.

How long does it take to replace a monthly rental vehicle?
The length of time depends on processing, availability, timing of request, and type of vehicle requested. Turnaround varies from 30 to 90 days. 

How do I change information for a monthly rental vehicle?
Submit a Change Info for an Assigned Vehicle Form which can be found at: http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/EAM/FPS/pages/forms.aspx. Complete all applicable information including an authorized agency signature. Directions for submitting are found on the form.

Where do I find polices and procedures on use of vehicles?
The DAS Statewide Vehicle Policy and the DAS Fleet Internal Operating Policy can be found at http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/EAM/FPS/pages/policies.aspx

Which vehicles pollute the air the least?
The vehicle that pollutes the air the least is the dedicated compressed natural gas (CNG) sedan. It emits no measurable amounts of criteria pollutants and low levels of greenhouse gasses. CNG vehicles get approximately 30 mpg, with an estimated range of 200 miles. CNG sedans are assigned for routine and short-distance trips. CNG fuel is available at the State Motor Pool. 

Is it cheaper to fuel at a state-owned motor pool or retail?
Most of the time it is cheaper to fuel at the State Motor Pool due to the state price agreements for purchasing bulk fuel. Filling up at the motor pool during regular business hours also allows the Auto Services Technician to visually confirm the safety of the vehicle and to see if any maintenance or repairs are required.

What types of fuel are available at a state-owned motor pool?
The State Motor Pool dispenses unleaded (E-10), compressed natural gas (CNG), E-85, and biodiesel (B20).
Other fuel types, including E-85, biodiesel B-20, and unleaded E-10 are increasingly available at retail sites, including the SeQuential BioFuels station at Exit # 189 off Interstate 5 in Eugene.

How many vehicles does DAS Fleet replace/year and avg mileage?
Based on current agency demand and inventory, DAS Fleet replaces approximately 375 vehicles per year. Current replacement criteria is :
  • 100,000 miles for law enforcement/emergency vehicles (no change).
  • 130,000 miles (regardless of age) for standard gasoline powered vehicles.
  • 175,000 miles (regardless of age) for gas/electric or natural gas powered vehicles.

What is the total number of vehicles owned by the state?
DAS Fleet owns approximately 4,000 light-duty vehicles (8,500 GVW or less). The total number of light-duty vehicles owned by all state agencies is about 7,000.  

Why does the state purchase new instead of used vehicles?
DAS Fleet acquires new vehicles at a substantial discount through volume purchasing utilizing state price agreements. The cost savings offsets the first one - three years of depreciation. The purchase of used vehicles discards the new vehicle purchase discount. The net effect of purchasing used vehicles has a higher total cost of ownership over the remaining life of the vehicle.

Why does my agency receive electronic invoices from DAS Fleet?
DAS Fleet has implemented a web-based invoice system that allows agencies to log on to a secure web site and review or print their invoices on a monthly basis. The invoices on the web include Excel spreadsheets that will allow agencies to internally bill/charge their departments without having to manually re-enter data into their agency’s financial billing system. By sending the invoices electronically, it saves the state the cost of postage and envelopes and also reduces the amount of recycled paper.