Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
North Mall Heritage Park

  • Addresses and square footage: 
    • 810 D St, NE * Ford House  2,708 sq ft
    • 830 D St, NE * Huntington House  1,975 sq ft
    • 850 D St, NE * Irwin House  2,050 sq ft
    • 870 D St, NE * Adolphson House  1,965 sq ft
    • 885 Summer St, NE * McGilchrist House  2,489 sq ft 
    • 796 Winter St, NE * Stiff-Jarmin House  3,273 sq ft
    • 880 Winter St, NE * Perry House  2,187 sq ft
  • All located Salem, OR  97301
  • Tenant(s): state and public agencies 
  • Year renovated: 2003

Building History
The North Mall Heritage Park is comprised of seven original houses from the site that were renovated and converted to office space in 2003.
History of Relocation Project
A build-out plan for Capitol Mall titled "A Framework Plan for Capitol Mall Development" was prepared for the department in 1986. It proposed concepts for filling the vacant property within the Capitol Mall with state office buildings. The report included general concepts for how the mall might ultimately be developed. When DAS began to prepare for additional construction on the north mall, the proposed plan was to remove and relocate the remaining houses. When this concept was presented to the Capitol Planning Commission, the commission insisted on exploring an alternative strategy: developing a grouping of houses on the north side of Mill Creek.
The North Mall Task Force was formed to explore that concept and recommended to CPC in 1995 that seven houses in the area be preserved. DAS obtained the services of Heritage Consulting Group to explore possible uses and the feasibility of the project. In early 1998, the consultants recommended that the most beneficial use would be conversion of houses to office space. The concept also included off-street parking and open space. The project would create a natural transition between the Capitol Mall and Grant Neighborhood to the north. The approach was endorsed by the neighborhood group, the City of Salem, and the Capitol Planning Commission. 
In order to implement the plan, numbers of issues had to be addressed.  The last privately-owned house and lot had to be acquired before the plan could be designed and implemented.  Four houses needed to be relocated to create the new grouping of houses. Old leaking heating oil tanks had to be removed and the contamination cleaned up. Since some of the houses are on the City of Salem’s Historic Landmarks listing, special consideration had to be given to maintaining the historic character of the exterior. Removal and preservation of trees had to be addressed, as well as planning for the landscape and parking. Ultimately, the project provided approximately 17,000 square feet of office space.
History of Houses

 810 D St NE * Ford House
The Ford House is an English Cottage style stucco house. It features approximately 1,923 square feet of space on the first floor and 1,128 square feet on the second floor.

830 D St NE * Huntington House
The Huntington House is an English Tudor style house built in 1925. It features approximately 932 square feet of space on the first floor and 912 square feet on the second floor. It was originally located at 250 Summer Street. It was moved to 790 Winter Street in 1937 and was moved here in 2002.
Irwin house 850 D St NE * Irwin House
The Irwin House is an English Cottage/Tudor style house built around 1936. It features approximately 1,236 square feet of space on the first floor and 948 square feet on the second floor. It sits in its original location.
870 D St NE * Adolphson House
The Adolphson House is an English Cottage style house built in 1936. It features approximately 1,292 square feet of space on the first floor and 688 square feet on the second floor. It sits in its original location.
Adolphson house 

 885 Summer St NE * McGilchrist House
The McGilchrist House is a colonial revival house, built for William McGilchrist Jr. in 1917 and home to three Oregon Governors including Robert D. Holmes from 1957 to 1959. It features 1,469 square feet of feet on the first floor and 1,036 square feet on the second.

796 Winter St NE * Stiff-Jarmin House
The Stiff-Jarmin House is an English Cottage style house built in 1929. It was the home of former Governors Tom McCall and Victor Atiyeh. It features approximately 1,901 square feet of space on the first floor and 1,274 square feet on the second floor.
Stiff-Jarmin house

 880 Winter St NE * Perry House 
The Perry House is a colonial revival style house. It features approximately 1,322 square feet of space on the first floor and 968 square feet on the second floor.
Source for history on houses: http://myweb.msoe.edu/~westr/salem3 
Additional information and photo credits

Energy Conservation
The Department of Administrative Services (DAS) has designated its buildings as resource conservation zones. This means DAS works hard to save energy and water in its buildings, as well as ensure employees and tenants recycle to the best of their ability. The goal is to save taxpayer money and care for the environment to the greatest extent possible.
Energy Savings Report
  DAS compares all bills to the calendar year 2000 as a baseline.  The goal and OAR require a 20 percent reduction in electricity and natural gas usage by 2015. DAS does not adjust the buildings without baseline adjustments for weather or any other factors. The savings column represents the combined electric and gas savings in Btu’s compared to the year 2000 usage. The Energy Cost column includes the totals for electric and gas – not all utilities.   
The North Mall Heritage Park's energy use is under evaluation and won't be posted until a revised baseline can be established. This is due to the fact it was not constructed until after the state's 2000 baseline.



 The manner in which we travel to and from the building impacts sustainability and greenhouse gas emissions. The following summarizes the sustainable transportation options around the building.
Bike Routes