Citizen Report Toolkit
Investigating and Responding to a Citizen Report
|1. DAS-Risk Management (RM) is notified of a citizen report or citation.|
|2. CRC receives the citizen report and identifies agency “assigned driver.”|
- The CRC may conduct the investigation or forward it to the supervisor of the assigned driver for investigation.
- Each agency decides who must complete the investigation.
|3. The agency investigation consists of the following: |
- Verify the actual driver at the time of the event.
- Note if the driver was an employee, volunteer, legal agent or authorized independent contractor.
- If unable to verify the actual driver, the “assigned driver” will be recorded as the "responsible employee" in the complaint file.
- Review the report or citation with the driver.
- If witnesses (passengers) are known, interview them.
- Prepare a response to DAS-RM. Remember; this response will become a public record. It may be sent directly to the citizen.
- Questions to Consider.
- Was the person behind the wheel an authorized driver in accordance with the Vehicle Use and Access Rules, OAR 125-155-0400?
- If authorized, did the driver hold a current, valid, unrestricted license?
- Was the driver’s record acceptable based on your agency’s policy?
- Check for prior citizen reports, police citations or crashes on state business.
- Your agency Risk Coordinator can obtain this information via Risk Management´s Web-based STARS Enterprise.
- When did the driver last take defensive driving or any type of driver training class? This is particularly important if driving is an essential function or the driver transports clients. Type and frequency of training will depend on your agency’s training requirements.
- Check out the Defensive Driver Course offered through iLearn.
- Were the passengers in the state vehicle authorized in accordance with the Vehicle Use and Access Rules, OAR 125-155-0420?
- Correct deficiencies. Counsel the driver. These actions will depend on the facts of each investigation and each agency’s policy and practice.
- In addition to getting important information about this report or citation, these questions are designed to let each agency spot-check their overall vehicle use and driver safety program. If you feel a question is not applicable, tell us why in your response.
|4. Once the investigation is completed and if the citizen has requested a response back, reply to the citizen filing the complaint. |
- Remember this is an opportunity to educate the public and improve their perception of your organization
- Your agency´s Citizen Report Coordinator name and phone number have be given to the citizen.