45A.494 Reciprocal preference to be given by public agencies to resident bidders -- List of States -- Administrative regulations.
1) Prior to a contract being awarded to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder on a
contract by a public agency, a resident bidder of the Commonwealth shall be given a preference against a nonresident bidder registered in any state that gives or requires a preference to bidders from that state. The preference shall be equal to the preference given or required by the state of the nonresident bidder.
2) A resident bidder is an individual, partnership, association, corporation, or other business entity that, on the date the contract is first advertised or announced as available for bidding:
a) Is authorized to transact business in the Commonwealth; and
b) Has for (1) year prior to and through the date of the advertisement, filed Kentucky
corporate income taxes, made payments to the Kentucky unemployment insurance
fund established in KRS 341.490 and
c) maintained a Kentucky workers' compensation policy in effect.
3) A nonresident bidder is an individual, partnership, association, corporation, or other business entity that does not meet the requirements of subsection (2) of this section.
4) If a procurement determination results in a tie between a resident bidder and a nonresident bidder, preference shall be given to the resident bidder.
5) This section shall apply to all contracts funded or controlled in whole or in part by a public agency.
6) The Finance and Administration Cabinet shall maintain a list of states that give to or require a preference for their own resident bidders, including details of the preference given to such bidders, to be used by public agencies in determining resident bidder preferences. The cabinet shall also promulgate administrative regulations in accordance with KRS Chapter 13A establishing the procedure by which the preferences required by this section shall be given.
7) The preference for resident bidders shall not be given if the preference conflicts with federal law.
8) Any public agency soliciting or advertising for bids for contracts shall make KRS 45A.490 to 45A.494 part of the solicitation or advertisement for bids.