Need an Attorney

Although the Ombudsman can provide you information regarding the workers’ compensation claim process and can contact the insurer to help resolve some issues, the Ombudsman cannot provide you legal advice.

If your claim has been denied and you’re considering appealing the decision, you are considering a claim settlement or you have a dispute that may result in a loss or reduction of your benefits, we strongly encourage you to seek legal representation. You may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in workers’ compensation. You can locate an attorney for a free consultation through the Yellow Pages, online, or by contacting the Oregon State Bar referral service (the $35 referral fee does not apply to workers’ compensation cases).

Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service

Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

Phone: 503-684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon at 800-452-7636


If you obtain an attorney, you are not responsible for attorney fees. However, you may be responsible for some costs incurred in pursuing your case (costs for records, fees for experts/witnesses, etc.). These costs are reimbursed by the insurer up to a maximum amount only if you win your case.

The attorney will receive no attorney fee unless he or she is successful in getting the insurer to accept a denied claim or in obtaining an increase in your compensation. If the attorney is successful in getting a denied claim accepted, the attorney’s fee will be paid by the insurer. If the attorney obtains an increase in your compensation, the attorney’s fee may be paid from the increase in compensation. You are encouraged to discuss the payment of attorney fees and costs with the attorney at the time of your initial consultation.