Filing a workers' compensation claim

How do I file a workers’ compensation claim?

You should tell your employer right away about your injury and ask for an Oregon Form 801, the Worker’s and Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease/Illness. It is your right to file a workers’ compensation claim. You also have the right to not file a claim. No one else should make these decisions for you.

Your employer must send your workers’ compensation claim (Form 801) to its insurer within five days of being notified of your injury. It is illegal for employers to do anything to keep employees from filing claims.

If you seek medical treatment for your injury, tell the doctor you were hurt on the job. You and your doctor should complete Oregon Form 827, Worker’s and Physician’s Report for Worker’s Compensation Claims. Medical providers are required to report job-related injuries to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer (the company from which your employer has purchased workers’ compensation insurance) within three working days.

My employer will not report my work-related injury or illness to their insurance carrier. What can I do?

Your employer should have the workers' compensation insurance information posted in the workplace. If so, you may contact the insurance carrier and report the claim yourself. If your employer does not have the insurance information posted, you can contact our office for assistance with obtaining that information.

Form 801 - "Report of Job Injury or Illness"

Form 801 - "Reporte de Lesión o Enfermedad en el Trabajo (801s)"