March 31 is deadline to sign up for health insurance
If you buy your own insurance (no employer coverage), you have through March 31, 2014, to sign up for coverage. Watch this video to learn more.
Where to get coverage
- Contact an insurance company. Here is a list of contact information for Oregon health insurance companies.
- Go to CoverOregon.com.Compare plans from multiple companies and see if you qualify for financial help.
- Contact an insurance agent who can help you shop.
When coverage starts
Coverage starts either the first day of month after you sign up or the first day of the second following month. It depends on the date you buy coverage.
- Buy Jan. 16-Feb. 15, 2014: Coverage starts March 1, 2014
- Buy Feb. 16-March 15, 2014: Coverage starts April 1, 2014
- Buy March 16-March 31, 2014: Coverage starts May 1, 2014
Should I keep my 2013 plan?
Most Oregonians with individual health plans that no longer meet federal health reform requirements had an option to keep the plan they had in 2013 for part or all of 2014. This provides additional time to shop for new coverage. But there are many factors to consider. Learn more.
After March 31, 2014
You can enroll at other times if you experience a "triggering event." Examples include loss of comprehensive coverage, getting married, having or adopting a child, newly gaining citizenship, moving, and a change in income that makes you eligible for financial help.
Open enrollment will occur every year in the fall. Watch for the dates. During this time, you can change plans for the next year, change insurance companies, or stay with the plan you have.
People who are eligible for Medicaid (Oregon Health Plan) can apply at any time.
Ask your human resources staff when your open enrollment occurs at work.
Using health insurance
Your insurance policy outlines what your plan covers and how you share costs with the insurance company. We also produce a guide that gives general information about using insurance.