What we do
This program’s success is built on a
statewide network of trained volunteer counselors. Counselors help people in their community understand their Medicare insurance choices and their rights
through individual counseling, education, and referrals.
Volunteers report to a volunteer coordinator in their sponsoring organization.<
- Enjoy helping others
- Are dependable, understanding, patient, and compassionate
- Communicate well
- Protect client confidentiality
- Have no conflict of interest
- Want to provide SHIBA services
- Have computer skills or are willing to learn
- Work well alone and in a team
- Complete the SHIBA Volunteer Application, screening, training, and internship.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information, per Oregon SHIBA Security Plan.
- Provide individual health insurance assistance at sponsor site or in clients’ homes.
- Assess clients’ resources and health care/health insurance needs.
- Complete Client Contact forms either online or on paper.
- Refer clients to resources as needed.
Fill out our volunteer application.