The Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) encourages all candidates who meet the qualifications to apply when the job announcement is open for application.
When applying to an open job announcement, keep the following tips in mind:
- Carefully read the job announcement – The announcement contains instructions on how to apply and what documents to submit, as well as the qualifications, desired attributes, and skills required for the job. This will help you customize your application materials for the position.
- Contact information – Make it easier for the hiring manager to contact you by providing a daytime telephone number and an email address.
- Unpaid/volunteer work – Include all relevant experience whether it was paid or unpaid.
- Avoid jargon or acronyms – Explain information in commonly used terms to make the message clear. Keep in mind that the individuals reviewing your application materials may not be the subject matter expert and may be unfamiliar with specialized terminology or acronyms.
- Describe how your background meets the qualifications and desired attributes – Explain in detail the duties you performed and your level of responsibility. Focus on accomplishments, not just activities. Always include month and year dates relating to your work history.
- Proofread – You have only one chance to make a good first impression with the hiring manager; don’t blow it by having grammar, spelling, punctuation, or other errors in your materials.
- Transcripts – If you are using education to meet the qualifications, be sure that you attach copies of your transcripts to your online application. Transcripts do not need to be official; however, they must include the following: your name, coursework completed with a passing grade, degree received, and institution name. NOTE: You are responsible for providing transcripts that include your name. Some schools’ online transcripts default to not showing your name and require you to tell the website to display your name.
- Veteran's preference – If you are a veteran requesting veteran’s preference, be sure to attach your preference documentation to your online application before you submit it.
- Attachments – Be sure to attach all the required documents that are listed in the job announcement to your online application form. Remove sensitive information, such as your Social Security number, date of birth, driver license information, etc.
- Submit your application materials by the closing date and time – The announcement lists the deadline for submission. Do not wait until the last minute to apply because the Oregon E-Recruit System will not transmit your materials after the deadline.
- Application process – Click here to create/update your application or to review frequently asked questions (FAQs) about using the online application process.