Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Supports for Adults

Other Adult Services


Crisis services and nursing facility services are specialized supports available only to adults with developmental disabilities who meet strict eligibility criteria. Crisis services are developed in response to specific issue and may be short term or long term.

Crisis Diversion Services

Crisis services provide additional supports in order to maintain an adult in their present community placement. Crisis services are provided in response to a specific issue and assessment. Services may be time limited or long term.

Eligibility for crisis services is limited to individuals who are at “risk of commitment” to an institution for persons with mental retardation (ICF/MR) under Oregon Law. Oregon Administrative Rule 411-320-0160.

Individuals who are receiving support services and meet crisis eligibility criteria may receive crisis services as an addendum to their ISP during a period of crisis. If it becomes clear that additional on-going support above support service benefit levels are needed; movement to comprehensive services will be planned.Access to crisis services is always through a county services coordinator.

Each Community Developmental Disability Program is part of a regional and statewide network. If the individual in crisis needs to access comprehensive services, and the county has no resources available, the county service coordinator would refer that individual to the Regional Crisis Office for access to regional and statewide resources, as well as any long-term funding that might be necessary.

Each of the five regions that provide crisis and back-up services have developed their own policies and procedures, and county service coordinators should be familiar with the process used in their particular region.

Nursing Facility Specialized Services

Specialized nursing services are additional services for an individual with developmental disabilities who lives in a nursing home. This service is designed to provide about 30 hours a month of individualized habilitative supports, in conjunction with their nursing home care plan, to address the unique needs of a person with a developmental disability that nursing homes generally do not provide. Specialized nursing services may occur at or away from the nursing facility, and may include employment or community inclusion services. An individual cannot receive County contracted employment and community inclusion services if receiving specialized nursing facility services.

Regulations and requirements for specialized nursing services are outlined in Oregon Administrative Rule 411-320-0150

To receive specialized nursing services, the individual must be living in a licensed nursing care facility and be enrolled in Developmental Disabilities Case Management Services. An RN from the SPD Health Support Unit must also be assess the individual to determine their level of service need. If determined appropriate, the RN will refer the individual for specialized nursing services.

Once identified as needing specialized nursing services, their County DD Services Coordinator will develop an annual plan for specialized services. The Services Coordinator will assist the individual in finding an agency or person to provide those services to them.