Making the Most of Your In-Home Services
Steps to Success promotes successful working relationships between consumer-employers and homecare and personal support workers. STEPS participants learn about being effective employers, gaining insight, information and skills to help them make the most of their in-home services.
Participating in Steps to Success
Call or email the Steps to Success for Homecare Workers program in your county, or ask your case manager to refer you.
Call or email the Steps to Success for Personal Support Workers program in your county, or ask your service coordinator or personal agent to refer you.
What to expect
A Steps specialist will contact you to find out when, where and how you would like to meet. We offer services by phone and email as well as in person. Your specialist will design a plan to help you meet your goals as employer of a homecare worker, and create a notebook of the materials that will be most useful to you. Steps to Success provides information and ideas, tools like forms and checklists and support with all aspects of hiring and supervising with homecare workers.
Topics may include:
- Understanding your Individual Service Plan or Task List
- Creating job descriptions
- Locating employees
- Interviewing and completing reference checks
- Selecting the best homecare worker for the job
- Creating an employment agreement
- Training, supervising and communicating effectively with employees
- Ensuring that work is performed satisfactorily
- Maintaining employment records
- Scheduling and tracking authorized hours worked
- Warning Signs of an Unacceptable Caregiver
- Making your home a safe place for you to live and your employee to work
- Avoiding fraud and abuse