Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Help in your home


Seniors and people with physical disabilities can receive services while living in their own homes. These services include personal assistance, nursing tasks and help with housekeeping. Home-delivered meals can also be arranged. Medicaid may be able to pay for some of these services for eligible individuals.

Services may include help with:

  • Bathing, dressing and personal hygiene
  • Mobility and transfers
  • Getting to and from the bathroom
  • Housekeeping and laundry
  • Meal preparation or delivery (Meals on Wheels)
  • Memory and confusion
  • Shopping and transportation
  • Medical equipment
  • Assistance with medications

For further assistance and information contact an Area Agency on Aging (AAA) or Department of Human Services (DHS) office in your area. 


Client-Employed Provider Program (CEP)

The Client-Employed Provider Program (CEP) allows Medicaid clients to select and hire their own care providers, called home care workers. Home Care Workers may be friends, neighbors, or relatives. For more information about employing someone to help you in your home, see the CEP Employers Guide (pdf). The case manager at your Area Agency on Aging (AAA) or Department of Human Services (DHS) local office may also have a list of care providers in your area.

If you are interested in becoming a Homecare Worker, you will find more information in the Home Care Worker Guide (pdf).

The case manager can help the client:

  1. Select a qualified provider,
  2. Get the provider enrolled as a Homecare Worker in the CEP Program,
  3. Obtain a list of enrolled Homecare Workers,
  4. Know what services are authorized,
  5. Provide a task list for the Homecare Worker,
  6. Identify potential risks and safety hazards in the home, and
  7. Identify medical equipment to increase independence at home.

Independent Choices

This program offers you, the consumer, more choice in the way you receive your in-home services. The program turns control over to you, so that you can choose to purchase services as you need them. You will be able to manage your own care in ways that better meet your needs. See the Independent Choices brochure for more information. 

Contact the Area Agency on Aging (AAA) or Department of Human Services (DHS) office in your area to see if you’re eligible. 

Back to top


Oregon Project Independence

Oregon Project Independence (OPI) serves individuals who are 60 years of age or older or who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease or a related disorder, meet the requirement of our long-term care services priority rule and are not receiving Medicaid long-term care services except:

These services are provided statewide through Area Agencies on Aging local offices. Allowable services include personal care, homemaker/home care services, chore services, assisted transportation, adult day care, respite, case management, registered nursing services and home delivered meals.

Spousal Pay

The Spousal Pay Program is an In-Home Support Services program that allows payment for services that are provided by the spouse of an eligible person.

Individuals must be eligible for Medicaid (The Oregon Health Plan) and qualify for in-home services. They must also have a medically diagnosed, progressive, debilitating condition, which limits their activities of daily living, or a spinal cord injury or similar disability, which permanently impairs their ability to perform activities. Individuals on this program must need full assistance from others in at least four of the following six areas:
  • Bathing
  • Dressing and grooming
  • Eating
  • Cognition
  • Elimination (going to the bathroom)
  • Mobility.
Spouses must provide services that exceed what would usually be expected of a husband or wife. The spouse must be capable of meeting the individual's service needs.

For further assistance and information contact the Area Agency on Aging (AAA) or Department of Human Services (DHS) office​ in your area.

Back to top