Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Waterway Leasing
astoria waterfront photo
Along Astoria Waterfront photo Larry Potter
Some of Oregon´s submerged and submersible land is held and managed by the State Land Board, which consists of the Governor, Secretary of State, and State Treasurer.
The State of Oregon owns and manages the submerged and submersible waterway land under the Territorial Sea (i.e. ocean ward to the Three Mile Limit),  tidally-influenced land, and the non-tidally influenced bed and banks of twelve waterways and a number of lakes in the state. As the Land Board´s administrative arm, the Department  is responsible for most of the day-to-day management of this publicly-owned submerged and submersible land.
In administering this land, DSL must consider Constitutional and statutory requirements, Land Board directives, and the public trust interests of all Oregonians.
In many places throughout Oregon, marinas, wharves, docks, floating homes, log rafts, and ship repair facilities have been constructed on publicly-owned submerged and submersible waterway land.
City of Reedsport Marina, Umpqua River photo John Lilly
Often, because of its desirability, restaurants, hotels, and tourist facilities are situated next to or on submerged and submersible land.  
This land is also sometimes dredged by privately-owned companies to produce commercial grade sand and gravel.
Given the high public demand for the state´s submerged and submersible land, it is critical that this resource be carefully managed and the citizens of Oregon be fairly compensated for its use.
The Department issues leases, licenses, temporary-use permits and registrations for uses of state-owned submerged and submersible land.
Other public agencies have responsibility for water quality, safety, and public access (e.g., the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and the Oregon State Marine Board).

 Waterway Lease on the Columbia River, Astoria
Photo Chris Castelli

You will find the applications needed to apply for any of these authorizations from the 'Forms' link.
See also:
Lease Q&As
Do you need a lease?
Sand & Gravel Royalty License or Lease