Please follow the below instructions to have a successful experience downloading OTTER:
- Make sure ALL applications are closed.
- Click Here to Download Otter
- A download warning may appear:
- Click "Run."
- You may receive a second warning. An "Unknown Publisher," click "Run."
you are using Windows 8.1, you may receive an, "unrecognized app
warning," within that screen an error may come up that says "OK" or
"More Info," click on "More Info" to view this screen. From here, click
"Run anyway." That will continue the installation process.
- When prompted, click, "Next."
- Read and agree to the 'End User License Agreement," by clicking "Yes."
- Select "New" or "Upgrade," then click "Next."
- During the installation of OTTER, a message may display stating that a "read only" file has been detected. If this occurs, check "Don't display this message again." and click "Yes" to continue.
- OTTER installs to C:\Program Files\Otter32 or to C:\Program Files (x86)\Otter32. This location can be changed if desired or necessary.
- OTTER asks if it should create a Desktop shortcut. If "No" is chosen, OTTER can still be opened from the "Start" menu.
- Restarting the system is recommended. Choose "Yes," then click "Finish."
- Once the computer has restarted, open OTTER using the shortcut, or use the "Start" menu.
After upgrading OTTER, I experience one or more of the following problems:
What do I do?
- A message that there are no rates in the system for the year entered
- No rates exist in the program
- I cannot add the current year
- Transit District and WBF rates show as N/A.
Click on your current Operating System and follow the instructions to resolve this issue:
to Windows 8.1 is outside the scope of support for the Unemployment
Insurance Tax Section. If you choose to udpate to Windows 8.1; you do so
at your own risk. Windows 8.1 is supported by Microsoft.
Some Windows Vista, 7,
and 8 users experience this phenomenon. The problem is related to how
the operating system treats some of the OTTER program files, though it
is not fully understood why some users experience this issue and others
do not. To restore your information, do the following:
Note: If you are unable to locate or restore your information, please call 503-947-1544 option 6.
- Exit the OTTER application, if it is open, by going to "File" -> "Exit."
- Allow hidden files and folders to be viewed on your PC. Please note
that this file location is hidden within Windows by default, and must be
un-hidden by opening "Computer" on your Desktop -> clicking "Organize" in the upper left portion of the window -> go to the'Folder and Search Options'>go to the "View" tab -> and select "Show hidden files and folders" from the list of options. Click "OK" to apply the setting. Note: Also, use these instructions to turn hidden files and folders back on, if desired, following completion of the remaining steps.
- Open OTTER.
- In OTTER, go to "File" -> "Backup/Restore." Note: You may be presented with a message saying your database contains no information. Click "OK."
- In the "Backup/Restore" module, click the radio button next to "Restore" under "Options."
- Click on the "Browse" button.
- In "Browse", navigate to the following file path: C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files (or Program Files (x86), if present)\Otter32.
- In the Otter32 folder, double-click the Otter32.mdb file. If file extensions are turned off on your PC, the file may just display as Otter32.
To confirm this is the correct file, the file type is typically listed
as "Microsoft Access Database" or similar. The file icon looks like a
- After you have selected the database file from above, you will be
presented with the ability to select your missing data. From the list on
the left hand, select the information you would like to bring into
OTTER. To select multiple files, hold "Ctrl" and click the desired rows.
- Click "OK" to import the selected information. The information should now show up on the right hand side of the window.
- Click "Done" and then "Cancel" to exit the "Backup/Restore" module.
- Confirm the information has been restored by checking in the left
navigation bar, which displays your business information, years, and
- Finally, ensure that your default preparer information has been entered by going to "File" -> "Options" -> "Preparer."
When attempting to make a transfer file, I receive the following
error message: "Error Number: 339. Error Description: Component
"richtx32.ocx" or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A
file is missing or invalid."
What do I do?
Right click on the OTTER shortcut on your desktop>Go to
properties>Select the Compatibility Tab. In the Privilege Level
Section, check the box that says, 'Run this program as an
Say "yes" to all of these files during the installation. OTTER should install normally.
Most likely, an old transfer file was attached after clicking "Browse" on the secure server page.
Go to "Computer," C://OTTERData.
DELETE the transfer file named OTTERTRF.ZIP.
Go through the 'Make Transfer File Wizard,' and upload normally.
the installation of OTTER, some files were not properly registered. To
register the Active Reports files needed for viewing/printing reports in
OTTER, please do the following:
- Close OTTER.
- Make sure the files arpro2, pdfexpt.dll, and tiffexpt.dll exist in the system folder C:\\Windows\System32.
- Navigate to the folder where OTTER is installed (By default, this is C:\Program Files\Otter32. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, OTTER will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Otter32.)
- Right-click on RegARFiles.cmd and select "Run as administrator" from menu.
- In the User Account Control window, click Continue
- Click OK to close the message "DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system32\arpro2.dll succeeded."
- Click OK to close the message "DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system32\pdfexpt.dll succeeded."
- Click OK to close the message "DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system32\tiffexpt.dll succeeded."
Each update of OTTER has a version number. The current version is 2.20.0.
View your current version number by going to the menu bar and selecting"Help," then select "About OTTER." The current version number will be to the right of the photo of the otter. You can also see the version number in the bottom right hand corner of your OTTER window.
To delete an employee from the Form 132 screen follow the instructions below:
- Select the Form 132 in the outline on the left hand side of the main OTTER screen which contains the employees you would like to delete.
- There is a gray box next to each Social Security Number in the list.
If you click this box, the entire line will change color, which means
it is selected. To select multiple lines, hold the Ctrl key while using the mouse to click on the gray box next to the other employees you wish to delete, they will also be selected.
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Click the Save button on the toolbar or select Save under the File menu.
can sort by any of the columns on the 132, whether you want to sort by
last name, first name, or even wages.
Click your mouse pointer on the
Heading of the column by which you wish to sort.
In this example, put
the pointer in the heading box that says "Last Name," single click on it, and it will sort alphabetically by last name, rather than by Social Security Number.
All of your OTTER information is in a file named otter32.mdb (for master database), which can be found in C:\Program Files\Otter32 on Windows XP based machines.
the computer you are transferring from is a Windows Vista or Windows 7
based machine, the otter32.mdb file will be located in C:\Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (or x86, if present)\Otter32.
Please note that this file location is hidden within Windows by default, and must be un-hidden by opening "Computer" on your Desktop -> clicking "Organize" in the upper left portion of the window -> going to the "View" tab -> and selecting "Show hidden files and folders" from the list of options. Click "OK" to apply the setting.
Navigate to the location of the otter32.mdb file and insert a USB flash drive into your computer. Copy the otter32.mdb file to the USB flash drive and bring it over to your new computer. On your new computer:
You should now be able to access your old files in your new OTTER installation.
- If you have not already done so, download and install OTTER.
- Insert the USB flash drive with the otter32.mdb file on it.
- Open OTTER.
- In the menu bar, click File, and choose Backup/Restore.
- Click Browse and navigate to the location of your
USB flash drive where the copied otter32.mdb file resides. Click the
Otter32.mdb file and chooseOpen.
- The file path will display in the to: section of the Backup Utilities window in OTTER.
- On the left side of the window, select Restore.
- Follow the instructions in OTTER to choose the data you would like to import. When finished, select OK. The files should successfully import.
- Click Done and then Cancel.
Delete the existing transfer file OTTERTRF.ZIP out of C:\OTTERData and C:\Program Files (X86)\Otter32.
Go through the 'Make Transfer File Wizard,' and upload normally.
You cannot look
at the individual reports. The file that has been created is
OTTERTRF.ZIP. It is a zipped, encrypted file where the data can only be
displayed by the Employment Department.
You can view which businesses
and quarters are included in the OTTERTRF.ZIP report by following these
- Open OTTER and click on File on the menu bar.
- Click on View Transfer File.
- The screen will display the default file location, which is C:\\OTTERData\OTTERTRF.ZIP. NOTE: If you saved your transfer file to a different location, browse to that location.
- Once you have located the transfer file, click on Next.
- The List of 'Reports in Transfer File,' screen will display.
This will show you which businesses and quarters are included in that
transfer file. If the report does not contain what you want, follow the
steps to 'Make Transfer File' again.
No. First, correct the report(s) in OTTER for your records.
Next, fill out the necessary amended report forms and send them to the Employment Department at fax number (503) 947-1700, or mail to:
Oregon Employment Department
Unemployment Insurance Tax
875 Union St NE Rm 107
Salem, OR 97311-0030
DO NOT attempt to send the reports again via OTTER. If only a Social Security Number correction needs to be made, the SSN correction form may also be used.
does not recognize the default file format (.xlsx) of Microsoft Excel
2007 and 2010.
To change the file format of your spreadsheet: In Excel,
with your spreadsheet open, click the Microsoft Office Button, and click Save As.
Under Save a copy of the document, click Excel 97-2003 Workbook.
This will save your file in .xls format, which OTTER recognizes.