Oregon Employer Council Douglas County
|What Is The Oregon Employer Council Douglas County?|
|The Oregon Employer Council Douglas County (OECDC) is the voice of your business to the WorkSource Oregon Employment Department in Douglas County. |
OECDC is made up of volunteer employer representatives who serve as advisors to the WorkSource Oregon Employment Department. This team approach enables employers to identify and deal with local employment challenges.
The Oregon Employer Council Douglas County is Committed to:
- Serving as advisors and to assist the WorkSource Oregon Employment Department in their responsiveness to the needs of employers, job applicants and claimants;
- Coordinate employer concerns and efforts, to exchange pertinent employment/personnel information;
- Disseminate useful information and to educate members in the operation of the WorkSource Oregon Employment Department, at local, state and federal levels;
- Sponsor high-quality, low cost educational opportunities that are beneficial to employers and the workforce; and
- Recommend solutions to problems identified by the council.
|Who Make Up The Oregon Employer Council Douglas County?|
|OECDC has a strong representation. Our 62 members represent 48 organizations with about 12,000 employees. OECDC employers include, financial, manufacturing, non profit agencies, medical facilities, educational facilities, staffing agencies, media, motels, retail, tribal and business and workforce groups such as Oregon Workforce Alliance (OWA), Umpqua Economic Development and the Roseburg Area Chamber of Commerce to name a few. Together, this council has made a significant positive impact in our community for about 25 years, including; |
- Hosted the OEC 2002 and 2005 Annual State Conferences for Business
- Strong relationship with and monetary support of local veterans. OECDC gives $1,500.00 per year in support dollars and formed a committee to assist the Veterans Representative to win a $2,500.00 award for the Veterans Assistance Fund to assist local veterans.
- Host a variety of local, high quality, low cost seminars for businesses in partnership with the Roseburg Area Chamber of Commerce and Umpqua Community College.
- Host a large Employer & Career Expo every year at the fairgrounds to bring employers, community partners, veteran groups, students and the public together. It includes resume review, interviewing tips, and a computer lab.
- Assist the WorkSource Douglas Employment Deptartment with the purchase of bus passes for the Roseburg office to use for job seekers.
- Assist our emerging workforce with annual scholarships.
|You must represent a Douglas County employer to participate in the Oregon Employer Council Douglas County. However, there are no membership dues. Members in good standing (attending at least four monthly meetings per year) receive discounts on OECDC seminars, are eligible to apply for our scholarships at Umpqua Community College and have access to the various resources, training videos and publications. |
Our regular monthly meetings are held on the last Wednesday of each month, 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., at the WorkSource Douglas Employment Department, 846 SE Pine St., Roseburg OR 97470. We do not have a meeting the last Wednesday in November or December, but instead meet on the first Wednesday in December to combine both months due to the holidays.
Each monthly meeting features a Labor Market report and a guest speaker addressing businesses needs.
|Oregon Employer Council Douglas County Scholarship Award|
|The Oregon Employer Council Douglas County offers at least one scholarship valued at $2400.00 ($1200.00 each year) to assist with tuition at Umpqua Community College (UCC), ($4000.00 awarded in 2011). The scholarship is available to employees or immediate family members of employees whose employer is a member in good standing of OECDC. In addition to the scholarship, the recipient will receive mentoring from the council, assistance with employment, and free attendance to all seminars sponsored by OECDC. |
If you would like to be on the list for OECDC monthly meetings or seminars, you can contact Cindy Ferner, at (541) 440-3344 ext 2339, or email Cindy,K.Ferner@state.or.us.
We hope that you will take this opportunity to join us in making a difference for all the employers in Douglas County.
|Oregon Employer Council Douglas County Information|
|About OEC Douglas County.pdf|