OTTER HOME PAGE
The software for reporting Oregon combined payroll taxes is called the Oregon Tax Employer Reporting System (OTTER).
Learn about the Benefits of Using OTTER
OTTER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Computer system requirements are:
- Operating system of Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32 or 64-bit)
- A Pentium microprocessor or higher
- 128MB RAM, though 256MB is preferred
- 20MB free space on the system hard drive
HAVING PROBLEMS WITH OTTER?
Here are the solutions to a couple of common problems that OTTER 2013 v2.19.0 users are experiencing. Solutions to other problems are located on the OTTER FAQs page. Please print this page for your reference.
After upgrading OTTER, I experience one or more of the following problems:
- A message that there are no rates in the system for the year entered
- No rates exist in the program
- I cannot add the current year
- Transit District and WBF rates show as n/a
What do I do?
- With OTTER open, click Help in the top menu of OTTER, About OTTER.
- Confirm the correct version is 2.19.0. Close OTTER.
- Open Windows File Manager-Click Start-My Computer
- Go to the C:\Drive then Program Files and open the OTTER 32 Folder.
- Find and remove the TmplDB.mdb file (Right-click on the file and Delete).
- Close the File Manager and all of your other programs, then run the OTTER32Setup2.19.0.exe as an upgrade, again, allowing your computer restart.
For Windows 7 and Vista:
- Open Windows File Manager-Click Start-Computer.
- At top left click Organize – Folder and Search
Options - View tab.
- Find the option labeled "Show hidden files,
folders, and drives.” Select this option.
- Find the option labeled "Hide extensions for known file types." Un-Select this option. Click Apply, then click OK.
- Locate your C:\\Drive. Go to C:\\ Program Files(X86) (if you don’t have(X86), just
go to Program Files) and open the Otter32 folder.
- In the Otter32 folder, find and remove the TmplDB.mdb file (Right-click on the file and Delete).
- Go back to the C:\\Drive. Then go to Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files (or X86)\OTTER32. In the Otter32 folder again, find and remove the TmplDB.mdb file.
- Close the file manager and all of your other programs, then run the OTTER32Setup2.19.0.exe as an upgrade again, allowing your computer to restart.
For Windows 8:
After submitting my transfer file, I received an e-mail message saying I sent a report that was previously processed. What am I doing wrong?
- Open File Explorer by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you are using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then click Search)
- Click or tap on File Explorer on the left of the Search box.
- A box should pop up that says, "Libraries." At the top of that box there is a View tab. Click or tap on View and select the box that says Hidden Items. The box should now be selected.
- Go back to the File Explorer: Click or tap Local Disk C>Users>*Your Username*>AppData>Local>Virtual Store>Program Files (or X86)>Otter32.
- Locate the TmplDB.mdb file (Right-click on the file and Delete).Go back to the File Explorer, click or tap the Downloads folder.
- Locate the OTTER32Setup2.19.0.exe, double-click and run as an upgrade again, allowing your computer to restart.
Most likely, an old transfer file was attached after clicking "Browse" on the secure server page. When you click on "Browse," make sure that you open your C:\\ drive and then open the folder named OTTERData. Attach the transfer file OTTERTRF.ZIP located in this folder.
- You can send in your quarterly combined payroll report file by attaching it to our secure server. Please note that we no longer accept diskettes.
- Instructions for transferring your OTTER report to the secure server.
- OTTER allows you to import your payroll data from your own payroll software.
- You can copy one quarter to the next so that you don´t have to key in data each quarter.
- There are Help screens available from any location by just pressing F1.
- You can validate multiple quarters for multiple businesses all in one process.
If you have any problems while using OTTER that you cannot resolve using the help screens, please call (503) 947-1544 option 6. OTTER technical support hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time. Technical support is not available on holidays and furlough days. Make certain you or someone with you has sufficient computer knowledge to copy files, download files, change settings, view files in your C drive, make icons, and find your windows\system directory. If not, please use the documentation that came with your computer. If you are unable to reach a staff member immediately by phone, please leave a detailed message and we will return your call as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause and appreciate your patience.
If you are unable to download the software, you may use our online form to order an OTTER CD, or call us at (503) 947-1488, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Viewing this document requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free.
Find out more about OTTER
The Quick Reference Guide includes the features of the new program, setup instructions, toolbar buttons, and where to call for technical support.