OTTER HOME PAGE
The software for reporting Oregon combined payroll taxes is called the Oregon Tax Employer Reporting System (OTTER).
Learn about the Benefits of Using OTTER
OTTER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Computer system requirements are:
- Operating system of Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32 or 64-bit)
- A Pentium microprocessor or higher
- 128MB RAM, though 256MB is preferred
- 20MB free space on the system hard drive
HAVING PROBLEMS WITH OTTER?
Here are the solutions to a couple of common problems that OTTER 2013 v2.19.2 users are experiencing. Solutions to other problems are located on the OTTER FAQs page. Please print this page for your reference.
After upgrading OTTER, I experience one or more of the following problems:
- A message that there are no rates in the system for the year entered
- No rates exist in the program
- I cannot add the current year
- Transit District and WBF rates show as n/a
What do I do?
- Make sure OTTER is Closed.
- Download this file to your desktop by clicking here (This is a .zip file. After downloading, right click and choose 'Unzip' or 'Open'). In some instances you will not need to copy to your Desktop, you may double-click on it and the folder with the file will open allowing you to run by double-clicking on it.
- If the folder did not automatically open and you copied the file to your Desktop: Locate the file rmTmplDB.cmd file. Double click the file. You will see a brief flash on the screen or a black DOS box will open up.
- Re-run the OTTER installation/upgrade by going to http://www.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/TAX/pages/downloadotter.aspx, allow your computer to restart.
- DO NOT OPEN OTTER UNTIL THIS ENTIRE PROCESS IS COMPLETE. THIS CAN CAUSE AN ISSUE WITH THE FIX.
After submitting my transfer file, I received an e-mail message saying I sent a report that was previously processed. What am I doing wrong?
Most likely, an old transfer file was attached after clicking "Browse" on the secure server page. When you click on "Browse," make sure that you open your C:\\ drive and then open the folder named OTTERData. Attach the transfer file OTTERTRF.ZIP located in this folder.
- You can send in your quarterly combined payroll report file by attaching it to our secure server. Please note that we no longer accept diskettes.
- Instructions for transferring your OTTER report to the secure server.
- OTTER allows you to import your payroll data from your own payroll software.
- You can copy one quarter to the next so that you don´t have to key in data each quarter.
- There are Help screens available from any location by just pressing F1.
- You can validate multiple quarters for multiple businesses all in one process.
If you have any problems while using OTTER that you cannot resolve using the help screens, please call (503) 947-1544 option 6. OTTER technical support hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time. Technical support is not available on holidays. Make certain you or someone with you has sufficient computer knowledge to copy files, download files, change settings, view files in your C drive, make icons, and find your windows\system directory. If not, please use the documentation that came with your computer. If you are unable to reach a staff member immediately by phone, please leave a detailed message and we will return your call as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause and appreciate your patience.
If you are unable to download the software, you may use our online form to order an OTTER CD, or call us at (503) 947-1488, or send email to email@example.com.
Viewing this document requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free.
Find out more about OTTER
The Quick Reference Guide includes the features of the new program, setup instructions, toolbar buttons, and where to call for technical support.