- Some or all of my data has unexpectedly gone missing. What happened and what can I do to restore the information?
- When attempting to make a transfer file, I receive the following error message: "Error Number: 339. Error Description: Component "richtx32.ocx" or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid." What do I do?
- After upgrading OTTER, I receive a message that there are no rates in the system for the year entered. What do I do?
- A series of read-only files (including UpdtRate.exe and Otter32.chm) are detected during the installation of OTTER. What do I do?
- After submitting my transfer file, I receive an e-mail message saying I sent a report that was previously processed. What am I doing wrong?
- I am receiving a "the disk is be write-protected" error when trying to create a transfer file. What do I do?
- I cannot print my reports. What do I do?
- How do I know if I have the newest version of OTTER?
- How do I delete employees from the Form 132 screen?
- Is there any way I can sort the Form 132 - Wage Detail Report?
- How can I move my OTTER data from one computer to another?
- How do I look at the report I am submitting?
- What if I find a mistake on my last quarter’s report(s)? Do I just send the report(s) again?
- I have Microsoft Excel 2007 (or 2010) and I cannot import Form 132 / Form OQ / Schedule B data into OTTER. What should I do?
Some or all of my data has unexpectedly gone missing. What happened and what can I do to restore the information?
Some Windows Vista and 7 users experience this phenomenon. The problem is related to how the operating system treats some of the OTTER program files, though it is not fully understood why some users experience this issue and others do not. To restore your information, do the following:
Note: If you are unable to locate or restore your information, please call 503-947-1544 option 6.
- Exit the OTTER application, if it is open, by going to "File" -> "Exit".
- Allow hidden files and folders to be viewed on your PC. To achieve this in Windows Vista, please see the instructions located here; for Windows 7 please see the instructions located here. Note: Also, use these instructions to turn hidden files and folders back on, if desired, following completion of the remaining steps.
- Open OTTER.
- In OTTER, go to "File" -> "Backup/Restore". Note: You may be presented with a message saying your database contains no information. Click "OK".
- In the "Backup/Restore" module, click the radio button next to "Restore" under "Options".
- Click on the "Browse" button.
- In "Browse", navigate to the following file path: C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files (or Program Files (x86), if present)\Otter32.
- In the Otter32 folder, double-click the Otter32.mdb file. If file extensions are turned off on your PC, the file may just display as Otter32. To confirm this is the correct file, the file type is typically listed as "Microsoft Access Database" or similar. The file icon looks like a purple-colored key.
- After you have selected the database file from above, you will be presented with the ability to select your missing data. From the list on the left hand, select the information you would like to bring into OTTER. To select multiple files, hold "Ctrl" and click the desired rows.
- Click "OK" to import the selected information. The information should now show up on the right hand side of the window.
- Click "Done" and then "Cancel" to exit the "Backup/Restore" module.
- Confirm the information has been restored by checking in the left navigation bar, which displays your business information, years, and quarters.
- Finally, ensure that your default preparer information has been entered by going to "File" -> "Options" -> "Preparer".
When attempting to make a transfer file, I receive the following error message: "Error Number: 339. Error Description: Component "richtx32.ocx" or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid." What do I do?
Backup your OTTER database according to the instructions contained in the OTTER help file. Uninstall OTTER and then download the Otter32Setup2.18.exe file from the OTTER download page. Reinstall OTTER as a "new installation" and restore the database you backed up according to the restore directions in FAQ question 6.
After upgrading OTTER, I experience one or more of the following problems:
- A message that there are no rates in the system for the year entered
- No rates exist in the program
- I cannot add the current year
- Transit District and WBF rates show as n/a
What do I do?
- With OTTER open, click Help in the top menu of OTTER, click About OTTER.
- Confirm the correct version is 2.19.0. Close OTTER.
- Open Windows File Manager-Click Start-My Computer
- Go to the C:\Drive then Program Files and open the OTTER 32 Folder.
- Find and remove the TmplDB.mdb file (Right-click on the file and Delete).
- Close the File Manager and all of your other programs, then run the OTTER32Setup2.19.0.exe as an upgrade, again, allowing your computer restart.
For Windows 7 and Vista:
- Open Windows File Manager-Click Start-Computer.
- At top left click Organize – Folder and Search Options - View tab.
- Find the option labeled "Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” Select this option.
- Find the option labeled "Hide extensions for known file types." Un-Select this option. Click Apply, then click OK.
- Locate your C:\\Drive. Go to C:\\ Program Files(X86) (if you don’t have(X86), just go to Program Files) and open the Otter32 folder.
- In the Otter32 folder, find and remove the TmplDB.mdb file (right-click on the file and Delete).
- Go back to the C:\\Drive. Then go to Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files (or X86)\OTTER32. In the Otter32 folder again, find and remove theTmplDB.mdb file.
- Close the file manager and all of your other programs, then run the OTTER32Setup2.19.0.exe as an upgrade again, allowing your computer to restart.
For Windows 8:
- Open File Explorer by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you are using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then click Search).
- Click or tap on File Explorer on the left of the Search box.
- A box should pop up that says, "Libraries." At the top of that box there is a View tab. Click or tap on View and select the box that says Hidden Items. The box should now be selected.
- Go back to the File Explorer: Click or tap Local Disk C>Users>*Your Username*>AppData>Local>Virtual Store>Program Files (or X86)>Otter32.
- Locate the TmplDB.mdb file (Right-click on the file and Delete).Go back to the File Explorer, click or tap the Downloads folder. Locate the OTTER32Setup2.19.0.exe, double-click and run as an upgrade again, allowing your computer to restart.
A series of read-only files (including UpdtRate.exe and Otter32.chm) are detected during the installation of OTTER. What do I do?
Say "yes" to all of these files during the installation. OTTER should install normally.
After submitting my transfer file, I receive an e-mail message saying I sent a report that was previously processed. What am I doing wrong?
Most likely, an old transfer file was attached after clicking "Browse" on the secure server page. When you click on "Browse", make sure that you open your C: drive and then open the folder named OTTERData. Attach the transfer file OTTERTRF.ZIP located in this folder.
I am receiving a "the disk is be write-protected" error when trying to create a transfer file. What do I do?
Delete the existing transfer file OTTERTRF.ZIP out of C:\OTTERData and C:\Program Files\Otter32. Note: If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or 7, the Otter32 folder will be located under Program Files (x86). Try creating the transfer file again.
I cannot print my reports. What do I do?
During the installation of OTTER, some files were not properly registered. To register the Active Reports files needed for viewing/printing reports in OTTER, please do the following:
- Close OTTER.
- Make sure the files arpro2.dll, pdfexpt.dll, and tiffexpt.dll exist in the system folder C:\Windows\System32.
- Navigate to the folder where OTTER is installed (By default, this is C:\Program Files\Otter32. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, OTTER will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Otter32.)
- Right-click on RegARFiles.cmd and select "Run as administrator" from menu.
- In the User Account Control window, click Continue.
- Click OK to close the message "DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system32\arpro2.dll succeeded".
- Click OK to close the message "DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system32\pdfexpt.dll succeeded".
- Click OK to close the message "DllRegisterServer in c:\windows\system32\tiffexpt.dll succeeded".
How do I know if I have the newest version of OTTER?
Each update of OTTER has a version number. The current version is 2.19.0. View your current version number by going to the menu bar and selecting "Help", then select "About OTTER". The current version number will be to the right of the photo of the otter. You can also see the version number in the bottom right hand corner of your OTTER window.
How do I delete employees from the Form 132 screen?
To delete an employee from the Form 132 screen follow the instructions below:
- Select the Form 132 in the outline on the left hand side of the main OTTER screen which contains the employees you would like to delete.
- There is a gray box next to each Social Security Number in the list. If you click this box, the entire line will change color, which means it is selected. To select multiple lines, hold the Ctrl key while using the mouse to click on the gray box next to the other employees you wish to delete, they will also be selected.
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Click the Save button on the toolbar or select Save under the File menu.
Is there any way I can sort the Form 132 - Wage Detail Report?
You can sort by any of the columns on the 132, whether you want to sort by last name, first name, or even wages. Just click your mouse pointer on the Heading of the column by which you wish to sort. In this example, just put the pointer in the heading box that says "Last Name", single click on it, and it will sort alphabetically by last name, rather than by Social Security Number.
How can I move my OTTER data from one computer to another?
All of your OTTER information is in a file named otter32.mdb (for master database), which can be found in C:\Program Files\Otter32 on Windows XP based machines.
If the computer you are transferring from is a Windows Vista or Windows 7 based machine, the otter32.mdb file will be located in C:\Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (or x86, if present)\Otter32. Please note that this file location is hidden within Windows by default, and must be un-hidden by opening "Computer" on your Desktop -> clicking "Organize" in the upper left portion of the window -> going to the "View" tab -> and selecting "Show hidden files and folders" from the list of options. Click "OK" to apply the setting.
Navigate to the location of the otter32.mdb file and insert a USB flash drive into your computer. Copy the otter32.mdb file to the USB flash drive and bring it over to your new computer. On your new computer:
- If you have not already done so, download and install OTTER.
- Insert the USB flash drive with the otter32.mdb file on it.
- Open OTTER.
- In the menu bar, click File, and choose Backup/Restore.
- Click Browse and navigate to the location of your USB flash drive where the copied otter32.mdb file resides. Click the Otter32.mdb file and choose Open.
- The file path will display in the to: section of the Backup Utilities window in OTTER.
- On the left side of the window, select Restore.
- Follow the instructions in OTTER to choose the data you would like to import. When finished, select OK. The files should successfully import.
- Click Done and then Cancel.
You should now be able to access your old files in your new OTTER installation.
How do I look at the report I am submitting?
You cannot look at the individual reports. The file that has been created is OTTERTRF.ZIP. It is a zipped, encrypted file where the data can only be displayed by the Employment Department. You can view which businesses and quarters are included in the OTTERTRF.ZIP report by following these steps:
- Open OTTER and click on File on the menu bar.
- Click on View Transfer File.
- The screen will display the default file location, which is C:\OTTERData\OTTERTRF.ZIP. If you saved your transfer file to a different location, browse to that location.
- Once you have located the transfer file, click on Next.
- The List of Reports in Transfer File screen will display. This will show you which businesses and quarters are included in that transfer file. If the report does not contain what you want, follow the steps to Make Transfer File again.
If you would like a copy for your records, click on Print Transfer List at the bottom of the screen. Click on Finish when you are done.
What if I find a mistake on my last quarter’s report(s)? Do I just send the report(s) again?
No. First, correct the report(s) in OTTER for your records. Next, fill out the necessary amended report forms and send them to the Employment Department at fax number (503) 947-1700, or mail to:
Oregon Employment Department
Unemployment Insurance Tax
875 Union St NE Rm 107
Salem, OR 97311-0030
DO NOT attempt to send the reports again via OTTER. If only a Social Security Number correction needs to be made, the SSN correction form may also be used.
I have Microsoft Excel 2007 (or 2010) and I cannot import Form 132 / Form OQ / Schedule B data into OTTER. What should I do?
OTTER does not recognize the default file format (.xlsx) of Microsoft Excel 2007 and 2010. To change the file format of your spreadsheet: In Excel, with your spreadsheet open, click the Microsoft Office Button, and click Save As. Under Save a copy of the document, click Excel 97-2003 Workbook. This will save your file in .xls format, which OTTER recognizes.