Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Special Unemployment Programs
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
The DUA program is funded by FEMA and administered by the Employment Department.  Benefits are payable in the first week after the week in which the President declares a major disaster.  The disaster declaration will specify which counties are eligible.  For DUA to become available, the disaster declaration must specifically grant Individual Assistance.  
To qualify for DUA, a person’s unemployment must be a direct result of a major disaster under any one of five conditions:
1.  The individual no longer has a job as a direct result of the major disaster.
2.  The individual is unable to reach the place of employment as a direct result of the major disaster.
3.  The individual was to start work and does not have a job or is unable to reach the job as a direct result of the major disaster.
4.  The individual has become the breadwinner or major support for a household because the head of the household has died as a direct result of the major disaster.
5.  The individual can’t work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the major disaster.
In addition, for conditions 1 through 4, the individual must meet the normal eligibility requirements for an Oregon unemployment insurance claim.  Unlike regular unemployment, self employed individuals may be eligible for benefits. 
Application process
Applicants have 30 days from the date the disaster was announced to submit their application (with provisions for good cause if the application is late).  Proof of earnings (tax forms) for the prior calendar year is required, and must be submitted with the application.  When a disaster results in  DUA becoming available, we will issue press releases and post information on this website. 

Self Employment Assistance (SEA)
The Oregon Self Employment Assistance (SEA) Program helps eligible unemployed workers set up a business on a full time basis and still receive full unemployment benefits.  The program is limited by law as to the number of claimants who can participate in the program. 
To qualify for the SEA program, you must:
  • be eligible for and receiving unemployment benefits,
  • be unlikely to return to your previous employment and not a member in good standing with a closed shop union,
  • have been identified, by the Department’s computerized mathematical formula, as a claimant who is likely to exhaust unemployment benefits,
  • have a viable business idea,
  • be willing to work full time in developing the business, and
  • have or be able to obtain the financial backing needed to start and sustain the business until it becomes self-supporting.
All enrolled SEA workers must attend self-employment assistance training, complete a market feasibility study and a written business plan, and be engaged in self-employment activities on a full time basis for each week claimed. For additional information, please contact your nearest Employment Department office, or, in Oregon call 1-800-436-6191 (outside Oregon call (503) 947-1800).  See detailed information on this site: http://www.employment.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/ES/SEEKER/self_employment_assistance.shtmlhttp://www.employment.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/ES/SEEKER/self_employment_assistance.shtml

Training Unemployment Insurance (TUI)
Brief Summary of the Training Unemployment Insurance (TUI) program
The purpose of the TUI program is to allow eligible dislocated workers to attend school and receive unemployment insurance benefits at the same time so that they can continue to care for their families and obtain employment.  The program does not pay for the training itself, however the program does waive the work search requirements while you attend school full time.
Up to 26 more weeks of UI benefits
An additional extension is available for TUI participants. Supplemental Unemployment for Dislocated Workers (SUD) can provide up to an additional 26 weeks of benefits while you are participating in approved training through the TUI program.
Types of training allowed
The program is designed for short-term training up to and including Associate degrees, except for Transfer degrees, or it may be used for a Vocational Training program. It is not generally designed for higher degree programs such as Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees. The only exception is if you are 48 credits shy of your higher degree, you MAY be granted an exception.
How to apply
You will need to get the application from the UI Training Programs Unit and return it as quickly as possible. If you would like an application, call (800) 436-6191 and select option 1. Staff will explain the program in detail, answer any questions you may have, and mail you an application. You can also download the application here
It can take up to 3 weeks for the review process and your claim will stop if you are already attending school. However, if approval is granted, it will be retroactive to the date the Training Programs Unit received the completed application, or the date you start school, whichever is later.  
Approval process
You will be notified in writing on whether you were approved or denied for the TUI program. If for some reason you are not approved, you will have appeal rights and will need to follow the instructions provided in your written determination on how to appeal if you disagree with the decision issued.
Potential Funding
The Oregon Employment Department does not fund training under the TUI program. However, you may visit with your local WorkSource office and be referred to a dislocated worker program representative about any potential funding sources under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). Please note that funding opportunities may be very limited or non-existent at this time. Additionally, any potential funding opportunities that are available will vary from county to county.
For additional information about the TUI program and how you may receive additional benefits in the form of SUD, contact the Training Programs Unit at (503) 947-1800 or toll free at (800) 436-6191 and select option 1.

Trade Act Adjustment claims (TRA)
The Trade Act program helps individuals who become unemployed as a result of foreign trade coming into the US markets or production being shifted to other foreign countries.  A listing of employers that have been Trade Act approved by the Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance is available from the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training. 
More information is available at Trade Act Program Benefits or by calling the UI Training Programs Unit (TPU) at (503) 947-1800 or (800)436-6191. 


Work Share (Shared work program)
The Work Share program provides an alternative to employers facing the prospect of laying off employees. Instead of reducing staff, an employer reduces the hours of work for a group of workers.  Partial unemployment benefits are then paid to supplement the reduced wages.  
How Does It Work?
Your employer must apply for the program by sending in a written plan to the Employment Department.  Employees can not apply for Work Share.  The employer must select three or more employees with reduced work hours to participate in a Work Share program.  Your employer must state that your work hours and wages will be cut back at least 20% but no more than 40% per week, and that your normal work week is 40 hours or less.   To qualify, each employee must have worked full-time for six months or part-time for 12 months just before employer’s WorkShare plan was submitted.  Weekly claims are submitted by the employer. 

For more information, employers can contact the Employment Department WorkShare Unit:
  • In Salem: (503) 947-1649
  • Toll-free: 1-800-237-3710 ext. 7-1649.
  • TDD: 711