Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Working While Claiming; Reporting Earnings On Your Weekly Claim
If you are working less than full time, and your gross earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount, you may still receive benefits.  In this situation, you must available for and actively seeking full time work.  If your part-time employer doesn’t have full time work available, or a definite date for when full time work will be available, then you must contact other employers to seek full time work. 

You must report all work and earnings from employment when claiming benefits
This includes cash and tips, and any non-cash payments such as room and board.  Vacation and holiday pay must also be reported if you are returning to work with this employer. Other examples of earnings that are to be reported are payments given due to an employment relationship which, in addition to salary or wages, may be given as bonus, stand-by pay, sick pay, commission, tips or added remuneration for services.  Reimbursements for incidental expenses such as meals, lodging, mileage and other traveling expenses should not be reported as earnings. 
Exceptions:  You do not need to report weekend military drill pay or jury duty pay.

You must also report all work and earnings from self employment when claiming
You must report any payments (cash or non-cash) you receive in exchange for any services you provide or products you sell.  Where no employer-employee relationship exists, the only deductible costs of doing business are the costs of products adhering to the customer.  The self-employed cannot deduct the costs of doing business except for the costs of material or goods that become the customer’s property.
Example A:
A masseuse massages customers and administers body-conditioning treatments.  The person applies alcohol, lubricants, or other rubbing compounds.  The costs of the alcohol and other compounds that remain with the customer are deductible.  The costs of training or equipment used to perform the tasks are not. 
Example B:
A truck driver owns a vehicle and hauls merchandise for a fixed rate per mile.  The entire amount must be reported.  None of the costs of doing business (gas, insurance, tires, wages paid to another person to tarp/load the truck, etc.) remain with the person leasing the services of the vehicle.
Example C:
A person sells Avon, Pampered Chef or similar products.  The salesperson may deduct only the wholesale cost of the products sold.  No other costs may be deducted.
Example D:
A gardener raises and sells plants.  The only cost deducted is the cost of the seed, pot & potting soil unless the plant is sold bare root (then only the seed is deductible).
Call your UI Center if you have questions about reporting earnings.

How do I report my earnings?
You report your earnings when you file your weekly claim.  Keep track of your hours and earnings for each week. Report your earnings for the week you perform the work, not the week you are paid.  Report all earnings before any tax or other deductions.  In other words, report gross earnings, not net earnings.
When you file your weekly claim, you will be asked the following questions:

4.  Did you work last week, or, did you receive or will
      you receive vacation or holiday pay for the week?
Yes  __     No __
5.  Enter the number of hours worked:  
6.  Enter your total gross earnings, vacation or holiday pay
      (before deductions), even if you have not been paid:

How do earnings affect my weekly UI payment?
Benefits are reduced by the amount of earnings paid or payable that exceeds the greater of the following amounts:
  • Ten times the minimum hourly wage established by the laws of this state; or
  • One-third of your Weekly Benefit Amount.
You are required to report all earnings, even if the total wages are less than the above amounts, and even if you did not receive the payment in the week being claimed.
Here is an example for a claim with a Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA) of $300:
  • Earnings for a week are $150. Since this is $50 more than one third of the WBA, the week’s payment would be $250.
  • Earnings for a week are $90. Since the earnings are less than $100 (one-third of the WBA) that week’s payment would not be reduced.
Examples for a claim with a Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA) of $150:
  • Earnings for a week are $90. $90 is more than one third of the WBA ($50), and more than the 10 times the minimum hourly wage ($85.00). Since 10 times the minimum wage is greater than one third of the WBA, $145 is payable for the week. ($90 - $85 = $5, which is deducted from $150).
  • Earnings for a week are $50. Since the earnings are less than 10 times the minimum wage, that week’s payment would not be reduced.
No benefits are payable if your gross earnings for a week exceed your weekly benefit amount.
When you return to full-time work or earn more than your weekly benefit amount, simply stop claiming weekly benefits. If you began work in the last week you are claiming, be sure to report the earnings, even if you haven’t been paid yet.