Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Information for GSHP Technicians

Information for Ground Source Heat Pump Technicians

Premium efficiency ground source heat pumps that meet tax credit performance standards are eligible for a Residential Energy Tax Credit only if installed or verified by a tax credit certified geothermal technician.
The equipment specifications are:
  • Closed loop systems
  • Performance rating of 3.3 COP for closed loop or 3.5 COP for direct exchange (DX) systems
Incentive amounts for ground source heat pumps are shown on the main geothermal page. The Oregon Department of Energy (ODOE) does not maintain a qualified products list for ground source heat pumps.
Water well reinjection systems or other open loop "pump and dump" systems are not eligible for the Residential Energy Tax Credit. Direct use of geothermal heat using “downhole heat exchangers” are eligible for a Residential Energy Tax Credit, but have special requirements. Please contact the appropriate staff person listed at the bottom of this page for more information.
2013 Tax Credit Technician Application (PDF)
2013 Tax Credit Technician Renewal (PDF)

Current list of companies employing tax credit approved technicians <PDF>
RETC Geothermal Page
International Ground Source Heat Pump Association (IGSHPA)

Back to Top

Becoming a Tax Credit Technician for GSHP

To become a TCT you must show proof of successful completion of the International Ground Source Heat Pump Association (IGSHPA) training, the IGSHPA certified manufacturer’s installer training program, or other training approved by ODOE. You do not have to be a current member of IGSHPA. In addition to this training requirement, see the full certification instructions.

Back to Top

Renewing Your Tax Credit Technician Status

There is a two month renewal period between June 1st and July 31st during which you should renew your TCT status in order to keep your company listed with ODOE.  To renew your TCCT status, the technician must:
  • Complete at least 1 tax credit approved installation during the current calendar year; or
  • Take two hours of technical continuing education (supporting documentation required); and
  • Submit a TCT renewal application.
If you did not complete at least 1 qualifying installation, you may submit proof of having attended any geothermal HVAC-related training lasting at least 2 hours in length sometime during the current calendar year. You should meet the minimum requirements in the current year prior to renewing for the next year.

Back to Top

Starting a new GSHP HVAC business

If you’re starting a new HVAC business in Oregon you must obtain the necessary licenses to legally do work in Oregon. Typical licenses include:
  • Business license(s)
Contractor licenses:

Back to Top

Additional Information

For questions on becoming or maintaining your status as a TCCT or on the RETC program, please contact:
Oregon Department of Energy
625 Marion St. N.E.,
Salem, OR 97301-3737
FAX: 503-378-6000



Back to Top