The City of Damascus incorporated in November 2004. ORS 197.757 requires newly incorporated cities to have comprehensive plans and land use regulations acknowledged no later than four years after the date of incorporation. The commission has sole authority under ORS 197.251(1) to acknowledge comprehensive plans and land use regulations as being in compliance with the statewide planning goals.
Below is a timeline of actions following the City of Damascus incorporation:
- The City of Damascus incorporated by a vote of the people on November 2, 2004.
- The department director granted the city a one-year extension in November 2008.
- LCDC approved a compliance schedule for completion of the comprehensive plan and implementing ordinances at the commission’s January 20-22, 2010 meeting.
- The city held its first evidentiary hearing of its comprehensive plan on October 26, 2010.
- The city council adopted Damascus’ first comprehensive plan and plan map on December 15, 2010.
- The city submitted its notice of adoption for the plan and plan map to DLCD on December 16, 2010. LCDC reviewed the request for acknowledgement in April 2011.
- In May 2011 the adopted comprehensive plan was overturned by city referendum. The referendum had no practical effect on the city’s acknowledgement status because the plan that was rejected by the voters had not been acknowledged by the commission.
- In March 2012, the citizens of Damascus passed an initiative (Measure 3-389), which requires a vote of the people on ordinances or plans submitted to Metro, LCDC and DLCD.
- As required by the compliance schedule the city has updated the Commission on their progress on the compliance schedule on the following dates: January 26, 2012, September 20, 2012 and January 24, 2013.
- On January 24, 2013 the Commission granted an extension to the compliance schedule for Tasks that were due to be completed on November 2012 to August 2013.
- On January 24, 2013 the Commission directed staff to initiate enforcement proceedings under ORS 197.320(110) and 197.065 after August 2013 if the City has not Adopted the tasks due in their revised compliance schedule.
For more information about the City of Damascus.