Changing your license status is allowed. For multiple reasons licensees leave the state, and will not be practicing. Please consider initially changing your license status to Inactive (with a $175 fee and no CE) rather than dropping it completely (no action). If you drop (let lapse) your Oregon license, you will be required to re-apply and re-test after 12 months lapsed. A change TO Inactive
A change from Inactive TO Active
- On your Renewal Notice, simply write in the Inactive license status and change the fee to $175.
- Make sure that you also write in a valid mailing address, telephone number, and email if available, for any OBCE communications (next year's renewal, policy or law changes, etc.)
- IMPORTANT: Provide written notice to the OBCE as to where your patient files are stored, and how they may be retrieved for the patient. (The OBCE is not a repository, but a resource for the patient.)
(IF less than five years inactive) *
- On your Renewal Notice change the status to Active/Senior Active (read terminology above), and write in the appropriate payment.
- In addition, you must submit:
- Proof of CE hours (inc. any specific hrs the OBCE may have designated in the previous 12 months); the number of hours are determined by the active status for which you qualify, and
- A license verification from another state where you may have practiced at least one of the past five years while you maintained your Inactive Oregon license; the verification must state whether the license was active, is in good-standing and whether there is, or has been, any disciplinary action against your license prior to the date of your status change.
Any license status change from inactive to active during
your license year (not at renewal time) requires you to pay the full active license fee, not the difference of the two fees.
For example, in January 2013 (your renewal month) you paid $175 for an inactive license. In March of the same year, you want to change to an active license; you must pay the FULL $350 active fee, not merely the difference between the $175 and the $350.
* If a licensee has maintained an Oregon Inactive license for five or more years, he/she must submit proof of competence prior to the issuance of an active license. Please read the OBCE's Inactive to Active Policy
(five or more years inactive).