Chiropractor License Renewal
|License Renewal Terminology|
|License Status: |
- Senior Active status – To qualify for this status you must be at least 60 years of age, AND have actively practiced for 25 years or more); this status requires $225 and six (6) hours CE annually. When a licensee qualifies for Senior Active, the OBCE will mail with the Renewal Notice/Affidavit a Senior Active application form.
- Regular Active status– all other licensees who wish to practice in Oregon. The license fee is $300 and the annual CE requirement is 20 hours
- Inactive status – licensee pays $175; no CE required annually. Licensee may NOT practice to any degree in Oregon while maintaining an inactive license.
Other Important Terms:
- License Year – a 12-month period running from birth month to birth month
- Renewal Notice/Affidavit – your “invoice” to pay, and your affirmation that you have completed the required continuing education
- Renewal Date – the last day of your birth month
- Grace Period – the 30 days immediately following your license Renewal Date (Read important information in the section below titled, "The Grace Period and Renewal Penalty").
- Late Renewal Penalty - a $100 per week penalty fee (Maximum: $500)
- Expiration Date – 30 days after your Renewal Date
- Lapsed License – 12 months after the Renewal Date. In order to practice in Oregon now, a person must re-apply (meet all current application requirements) and re-test (Oregon Specifics, and possibly National exams).
|Renewal Process - OBCE's Responsibility|
- The OBCE mails the licensee's Renewal Notice/Affidavit to the licensee approximately 45 days prior to the monthly Renewal Date. If you misplace your Renewal Notice/Affidavit, a blank form can be found on this web page (below).
- The Renewal Notice/Affidavit is mailed to the address which the licensee has previously designated as their "Official Mailing Address" (usually the practice address, but may have been a PO box or home address)
- The OBCE inserts a pre-addressed envelope with your Renewal Notice/Affidavit; use the envelope. If you misplace it, the mailing address is on the bottom of the second page of the Renewal Notice/Affidavit.
|Renewal Process - LICENSEE's Responsibility|
|Upon receipt of the Renewal Notice/Affidavit, the licensee is responsible to see that the form is completed fully, and that both the form and payment arrive to the OBCE offices before the deadline (the Renewal Date). |
Each Licensee is responsible to:
- Verify ALL addresses on the Notice/Affidavit, and make appropriate corrections.
- Check the box which verifies 1) that all CE requirements have been met; and 2) which license status for which you are renewing
- Answer each of the two questions on the Notice/Affidavit regarding any charges, arrests, convictions or other agency disciplinary action.
- Sign and Date the Notice/Affidavit at the bottom
- Payment: Include a Check, Money Order or Credit/Debit Card form (See Payments below)
- Mail both the Renewal Notice/Affidavit and Payment no later than the Renewal Date. (A penalty fine is assessed for mailings after the Renewal Date)
- If you have NOT completed your CE by your Renewal Date, you must indicate the reason on the notice, AND still pay the Late Renewal Penalty.
- IF you want to change your License Status to something other than what it is, READ the section below "Changing your License Status." If afterward you have additional questions, call the OBCE at (503) 373-1573.
Payment by Credit Card
- Complete the Credit Card Authorization form Submit by mail * BOTH the Authorization AND your completed Renewal Notice/Affidavit to the OBCE Administrative office:
Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners (or OBCE)
3218 Pringle Road SE, Suite 150
Salem, OR 97302-6311
* Do NOT FAX the Credit Card Authorization OR the Renewal Notice/Affidavit
Payment by Check, Money Order or Cashier's Check
- Complete your Renewal Notice/Affidavit form
- Make your check payable to the OBCE
- Submit your payment and completed Renewal Notice/Affidavit to:
Oregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners- Unit 01
P.O. Box 4395
Portland, OR 97208-4395
|Changing your License Status|
|Changing your license status is allowed. For multiple reasons licensees leave the state, and will not be practicing. Please consider initially changing your license status to Inactive (with a $175 fee and no CE) rather than dropping it completely (no action). If you drop (let lapse) your Oregon license, you will be required to re-apply and re-test after 12 months lapsed. |
A change TO Inactive
- On your Renewal Notice, simply write in the Inactive license status and change the fee to $175.
- Make sure that you also write in a valid mailing address, telephone number, and email if available, for any OBCE communications (next year's renewal, policy or law changes, etc.)
- IMPORTANT: Provide written notice to the OBCE as to where your patient files are stored, and how they may be retrieved for the patient. (The OBCE is not a repository, but a resource for the patient.)
A change from Inactive TO Active (IF less than five years inactive) *
- On your Renewal Notice change the status to Active/Senior Active (read terminology above), and write in the appropriate payment.
- In addition, you must submit:
- Proof of CE hours (inc. any specific hrs the OBCE may have designated in the previous 12 months); the number of hours are determined by the active status for which you qualify, and
- A license verification from another state where you may have practiced at least one of the past five years while you maintained your Inactive Oregon license; the verification must state whether the license was active, is in good-standing and whether there is, or has been, any disciplinary action against your license prior to the date of your status change.
Any license status change from inactive to active during your license year (not at renewal time) requires you to pay the full active license fee, not the difference of the two fees.
For example, in January 2011 (your renewal month) you paid $175 for an inactive license. In March of the same year, you want to change to an active license; you must pay the FULL $300 active fee, not merely the difference between the $175 and the $300.
* If a licensee has maintained an Oregon Inactive license for five or more years, he/she must submit proof of competence prior to the issuance of an active license. Please read the OBCE's Inactive to Active Policy (five or more years inactive).
|The "Grace" Period and Late Renewal Penalty|
As defined in the Terminology above, the Grace Period is the 30 days immediately following your Renewal Date.
The "grace" given to you by the Board is that you MAY practice during this period, however, for failing to renew in a timely manner, you will be assessed the $100 per week late renewal fee. The fee begins at the 1st day of the Grace Period; the fee will accrue until the maximum of $500 is reached.
IF you are submitting your Renewal Notice/Affidavit during the Grace Period, you should be including the Late Renewal Penalty with your payment. Your license will not be issued until the full payment is received.
|Renewal Notice Form|
If a licensee has misplaced his/her OBCE issued Renewal Notice/Affidavit, the blank Renewal Notice/Affidavit form below may be used.
If not completing the fillable form online, PLEASE PRINT your answers. You must fill in all the blanks on the forms or indicate "N/A" (not applicable).