Interested in becoming a child care provider? See descriptions below for the three types of regulated care in Oregon. The next step is to contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency.
Types of Licensed Child Care in Oregon
Registered Family Child Care Homes
Certified Family Child Care Homes
Certified Child Care Centers
Compare types of licensed child care in Oregon (LIC-311)
Office of Child Care's Central Background Registry You must be enrolled in the Office of Child Care's Central Background Registry if you are:
- The operator or an employee of a child care program regulated by the Office of Child Care
- The operator or an employee of an Oregon pre-kindergarten program
- The operator or an employee of a federal Head Start program
- An individual in a child care facility who may have unsupervised contact with children
- A contractor or an employee of the contractor who provides early childhood special education or early intervention services
- A designated employee or volunteer of a Metro service district
Child Care That Does Not Require Licensing in Oregon
Some child care in Oregon does not require a license from the Office of Child Care; Child care is exempt from regulation if:
Only one exemption may apply at any one time. They cannot be combined.
- The provider cares for three or fewer children in addition to the provider’s own children
- The provider cares for any number of children from the same family
- The care is provided in the home of the child
- The care is provided by the child’s parent or guardian or a relative
- The care is provided on an occasional basis by someone who does not usually provide child care
- The facility provides a preschool program that operates for four hours or less per day and provides education to children from age three, up to school age.
- The facility provides training on a specific subject such as dancing, drama, music etc.
- The facility is an organized club or hobby group providing short athletic or social activities, such as soccer, scouts etc.
- The facility is operated by a governmental agency