Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Forms and publications

Avian influenza brochure

Back to Top

Salmonella bacteria and chicks

Salmonella bacteria and chicks
Many chicks carry Salmonella bacteria in their intestinal tract and shed these bacteria in their feces. Although Salmonella bacteria may not cause illness in  chicks, it can cause serious illness in people.
Salmonella bacteria are easily spread from chicks to humans. Humans may become infected when they touch and consume food after handling objects that have been in contact with the stool of chicks. For example, a baby may be infected by drinking infant formula from a bottle prepared by someone who did not wash hands after touching a chick. The Salmonella bacteria must be ingested in order to spread from chicks to humans. Simply touching or holding a chick will not result in the spread of bacteria.
Most Salmonella infections in humans result in a mild, self-limiting illness characterized by diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps. However, the infection can spread to the bloodstream, bone marrow, or nervous system, leading to severe and sometimes fatal illness. Such severe infections are more likely to occur in infants or individuals whose immune systems are compromised (for instance, bone marrow transplant recipients, persons with diabetes mellitus, persons infected with the human immunodeficiency virus, and chemotherapy patients).
Fortunately, routine precautions can easily prevent the spread of Salmonella bacteria from chicks to humans:
  • Always wash your hands with hot, soapy water after handling chicks, chick cages and equipment, or chick feces.                                                                                 
  • Keep chicks penned in outbuildings or outside. Always wash your hands after visiting any area where chicks are kept.                                                                                         
  • Do not eat, drink, or smoke while handling chicks, chick cages, or chick equipment.
  • Do not kiss chicks or share food or drink with them.
  • Children less than five years of age should avoid contact with chicks. Older children should be supervised when handling chicks to ensure that they do not place their hands or other objects exposed to chicks into their mouths. Chicks should not be kept in childcare centers.
  • Immunocompromised persons should avoid contact with chicks.
  • Follow instructions from your veterinarian concerning proper diet and environment for your chicks. Healthy chicks living in proper environments are less likely to shed Salmonella bacteria.
Handle with care
Information in this handout is not meant to discourage chick or poultry ownership. With a few exceptions (for example, infants or immunocompromised individuals), most people have a low risk of acquiring samonellosis from chicks. Following simple precautions can reduce risk of infection even further.
Oregon Department of Agriculture, Animal Health Program  503-986-4680
Revised March 2008

Back to Top

Commercial Feed Application

The application form for registering commercial feeds and feed mills with the Oregon Department of Agriculture can be mailed to:
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Richard TenEyck, Commercial Feeds
635 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301

Back to Top

Emergency animal disease

Emergency Animal Disease Preparedness gives you information on what to do and who to call in the case of emergency disease outbreak (brochure in pdf format 159kB)

Back to Top

Livestock Brand book

The brand book is a complete list of all brands registered in Oregon. Cost is $35, to order call 503-986-4681 or send e-mail
Back to Top

Livestock brand application

The form used to request a new livestock brand. (in pdf format 47kB)

Back to Top

Livestock handbook

Livestock Transporation Handbook, is designed to instruct law enforcements officers regarding brand identification and animal transportation issues.

Back to Top

One Day Horse Sale License

Temporary One Day Horse Sale Licenses: Any person desiring to conduct a temporary one day horse sale, to which the owner may consign horses for public bidding at auction; and where such sales do not exceed one calendar day, may make application to Department of Agriculture for a temporary horse sale license.
Temporary license information and application
Back to Top

OVERT application

Oregon deputy, state and accredited veterinarians are invited to serve as members of the Oregon Veterinary Emergency Response Team (OVERT). We are still looking for veterinarians to join forces and build a strong emergency disease response team. Call 503-986-4680 for location, time, and date of the next meeting. (OVERT application in pdf format 52kB)

Back to Top

Transfer of brand ownership

When a brand owner dies, Oregon law requires that an official Transfer of Ownership must be completed within six months of the date of death. This applies whether the deceased was the sole owner or was one of two or more registered owners. By law, if the transfer is not completed within six months after death of an owner, the decedent's ownership rights (and consequently), the ownership rights of the heirs) are terminated.

To maintain continuous ownership of your brand, notify this office and file the Transfer of Ownership as soon as possible after the death of a brand owner. Contact the Brand Recorder at 503-986-4681 or send e-mail for details of the process for your specific situation.

Back to Top

Veterinary product application

The veterinary products registration form may be sent to:
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Animal Health 
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
For questions and information contact:
Richard TenEyck, Commercial Feed Specialist

Back to Top