Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Commercial Feed Program


Our mission is to protect consumers by verifying the proper labeling of animal feed.
("What´s on the tag is in the bag.")

Back to Top

Excluded from registration

Dog, cat, fish and bird foods produced for consumption by household pets are specifically excluded from the commercial feed registration and licensing requirements.
Back to Top

Instructions to register feeds

Instructions to register commercial feeds
Information for feed mill operators- general information, mill management, label examples, or label formats
Back to Top


Application for company license in pdf (95.6KB)
Template for registering feed products. Please use this form when you have a large number of products that need to be registered. Please fill in the form and return it by e-mail to Richard Ten Eyck.

Back to Top

Feed registration law

Oregon law (ORS 633.006 ) requires that all commercial animal feed be registered with the department annually.
Note: Dog, cat, fish, and bird foods produced for consumption by household pets are specifically excluded from the registration and licensing requirements.
Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR 603-058-0110) for animal feed

Back to Top

BSE prevention

Preventing bovine spongiform encephalopathy
(BSE or "mad cow disease")

To prevent the establishment and amplification of BSE through feed in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prohibits the use of most mammalian protein in feeds for ruminant animals. The final rule became effective on August 4, 1997.

ODA is working with FDA to make sure feed manufacturers, feed stores, and livestock producers are aware of and complying with the current BSE rules from FDA.

Anyone who either sells mixed animal feeds or ingredients or buys feed that may end up fed to cattle, sheep, or other ruminants has obligations under this rule.
Small entities Compliance Guides from FDA- for feed mills and distributors.
Small entities Compliance Guides from FDA- for cattle owners.

Back to Top

Carbohydrate label guidelines

Low carbohydrate label guidelines;
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) has established standard language to label feeds that in low in dietary starch and/or sugar, until those policies are formalized and will be in the next Official Publication. Oregon is using the following administrative rule to assist the consumer buying these types of horse feeds.
Rules for labeling feeds with modified carbohydrates  (pdf format 53KB)

Back to Top

Feed mill owner resources

Look here for technical assistance in managing the mill. Feed mill resources included are best management practices, biosecurity and feed labeling examples.
Back to Top

Feed violation reports

We regularly sample animal feed to ensure that the nutritional content guaranteed on the label is in the feed and to ensure that any medications included are allowed by law and are labeled and used properly.
Violation Reports 1998-2012​ 

Back to Top

Other feed program contacts

Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)
AAFCO pet food regulations
Oregon Feed and Grain Association Industry advisory group
Want to have your own hay, grain, or soil tested? Contact your county extension agent to find a lab.

Back to Top

Pet food questions

Registering pet food-
Raw pet food (cat or dog manufactured in Oregon) - contact Oregon Department of Agriculture Food Safety Program for raw pet food license or call 503-986-4720
Dry pet food- cat and dog foods making health claims need to obtain an animal remedies license from Oregon Department of Agriculture prior to being offered for sale in Oregon.
Specialty pet food (i.e. rabbits and reptiles)- register as commercial feeds.
Cat and dog foods, not raw that make no health claims, please do not register.
Pet treats- If you want to make pet treats at home please refer to the pdf slideshow (23.9MB).  This explains the different registration needs depending on the type of treat being made.

Back to Top

Search feed database

Search feed database for products registered or for companies that hold a manufacturer's license in Oregon.

Back to Top


Latest selenium testing results (May 2013)​

New rules for 2011 on Selenium labeling in Oregon:
603-058-0140 (11) Adds a requirement to label selenium minimum and maximum when the feed is over 0.5ppm and less than 25ppm. This was in response to livestock producers unknowingly receiving feeds with naturally occurring selenium significantly higher than the animals needs. The regulatory expectation is the selenium minimum will be close to the amount in the feed.
 Selenium over 1ppm in sow lactation or gestation diets is now listed as an adulterant.

Letter to the industry about selenium levels in ingredients and finished feeds in September 2007. This letter advises the industry to guarantee within 25% of the actual amount of selenium present.
Selenium tests January and February 2008 (pdf) This report shows the selenium levels in several ingredients tested in January and February of 2008.

Here you will find the code of federal regulations that specify how much selenium may be added to feed. (21 CFR 573.920) Veterinarians are not allowed to exceed these amounts in feed even with a prescription.

Back to Top

Animal feed questions

If you can't find the information you need, please send an e-mail. Richard Ten Eyck will get back to you as soon as possible. Or call Richard at 503-986-4691, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, Pacific Time (except holidays).

Back to Top

Report pet food complaints

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Institutes of Health today launched a new Web site that, when fully developed, will provide a mechanism for the reporting of pre- and post-market safety data to the federal government. Currently the Web site can be used to report safety problems related to foods, including animal feed, and animal drugs, as well as adverse events occurring on human gene transfer trials. Consumers can also use the site to report problems with pet foods and pet treats.
Complete news release
 FDA consumer complaint line - 800-353-3965

Back to Top