Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Equidae entering Oregon
Basic entry requirements
Equidae includes horses, asses, donkeys, mules, and zebras. Basic requirements are:
  • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued less than 30 days prior to entry
  • Import permit issued by this office. For a permit, the veterinarian or clinic staff calls 503-986-4679.
  • Negative test for Equine Infectious Anemia less than 6 months prior to entry. Tests with "pending" results are not acceptable. (Oregon will accept either the ELISA test or the AGID test (sometimes called a "Coggins test")
Exceptions - The following are exempt from the EIA test requirement:

1. Nursing foals under 6 months of age, traveling with negative tested dam
2. All Washington-resident horses

Six-Month Equine Certificates
The Six-Month Equine Certificates ("Passports" or "Extended Validity CVIs") are still valid for travel in California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, & Washington.
Think of the Six-Month Equine Certificate as a budget airline ticket. Once it is issued it can´t be altered. The issuing veterinarian must indicate which states the owner plans to travel to. ODA sends a copy to each of the states marked. Those states will expect a copy of the Trip Record at the end of the six month period.
Owners, please remember: It is your responsibility to keep track of every trip out of state. At the end of the six-month period, you send a copy of both the front and the back of the CVI to each state checked on the front.
The form for the Trip Record and the mailing addresses for the participating states are on the back of the owner´s copy of the certificate.