Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Oregon cattle and interstate travel
Shipping livestock
"Know before you go." There are both state and federal regulations regarding shipment of livestock and other animals across state lines. Most regulations are related to efforts to prevent, control, or eradicate animal diseases. Some are to prevent livestock theft.

As the animal owner, you are responsible for being aware of and complying with the regulations when you take your animal(s) into another state. Your veterinarian can help you with this process.
Interstate transportation
There are special requirements owners should be aware of before taking cattle across state lines for any reason.
Health requirements
All states require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (abbreviated CVI, sometimes incorrectly called a 'health certificate') for cattle for cattle entering from another state. The CVI is valid for a maximum of 30 days from date of inspection and is valid only to the destination indicated on the certificate.
Note: Oregon cattle leaving the state for more than 30 days must meet regular import requirements to return. (CVI issued within 30 days, tests and vaccinations based on where they went, and an Import Permit.
Ownership inspection required
Ownership Inspection Requirements Ownership inspection (sometimes called "Brand Inspection") is required by Oregon law for all equidae (and cattle) leaving the state. This applies whether the animals are branded or not. The purpose is to make sure the horses are owned by or in the lawful possession of the person presenting the livestock for inspection.

A special "lifetime inspection" is recommended for horses which travel frequently. It is valid until the horse changes ownership.

Call the Livestock ID office at 503-986-4681 for the name and phone number of the Brand Inspector nearest your location.
Pasture Permit
Pasture Permit: There is an option for breeding cattle moved to pasture in another state and returned to herd of origin within eight months. Click here for details of Pasture-to-pasture Permits.