Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Pasture-to-pasture permits

Interstate movement of cattle

Cows grazing  
Cattle shipped across state lines must meet both federal and state requirements. A certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) is usually required. (This certificate is often incorrectly called a health certificate.) Animal testing and vaccination may be needed and some states require import permits. Ownership inspection will be required when transporting cattle between most western states.

A special Pasture-to-Pasture Program exists for cattle shipped to another state for grazing. All cattle moved on the pasture-to-pasture permit (pasture permit) must be returned to the state of origin after the grazing season without a change of ownership.

Back to Top

Pasture permit applications

Cattle entering Oregon
Pasture permit application process:
The owner should apply for a pasture permit at least two weeks before the proposed movement. Obtain the application from the State Veterinarian´s Office where the cattle originate.
Note: Idaho, Nevada, and California require trichomoniasis testing for bulls being moved on pasture permits.
  • Idaho 208-332-8540
  • California 916-654-1447
  • Nevada 775-688-1180
  • Washington 360-902-1878
  • Montana 406-444-2976


Back to Top

Oregon cattle leaving

Spring herd 2013 application pdf 561 KB .
Fax the completed application to 503-986-4734 or mail it to:
Oregon Department of Agriculture
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301-2532
Oregon applicants: After the application is reviewed and approved by the state veterinarians of both Oregon and the state of destination, a copy is sent to the owner and the animals may be shipped. A copy of the approved pasture permit must accompany each load of cattle. We process applications in the order received. Please allow at least two weeks for processing.
Steers moving with their mothers can move as breeder or commuter cattle. Steers moving without their mothers are subject to other state requirements.
Ownership Inspection is required for all cattle leaving Oregon for any reason. Please schedule inspections at least 24 hours prior to moving cattle.
Call the Animal Health and Livestock Identification Office at 503-986-4681 for the name and phone number of your nearest brand inspector.

Back to Top


For questions on pasture permits
Contact: Diane Gookin, Permit Coordinator
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Phone 503-986-4680
send e-mail

Back to Top