Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Poultry Bill FAQ

What does the Poultry Bill do?

House Bill 2872, commonly referred to as the Poultry Bill, creates an exemption from ODA
food establishment licensing requirements for a person who raises and slaughters no more
than 1,000 poultry per year and meets other conditions.
Back to Top

When was the Poultry Bill effective?

House Bill 2872 (The Poultry Bill) was signed by the Governor on May 19, 2011. Administrative Rules were adopted and can be found at OAR 603-028-0710
Back to Top

What species of poultry can be processed under the Poultry Bill?

Domesticated species including chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, or guinea fowl. Poultry does NOT include ratites, endangered or protected species, wild game birds, non-game wild birds, or pet birds.
Back to Top

How many poultry can be processed under the Poultry Bill?

No more than 1,000 poultry per year of all species combined.
Back to Top

Can I purchase live poultry to process under the Poultry Bill?

No, the person performing the slaughter must raise the poultry since they are two weeks of age or younger.
Back to Top

Are there other restrictions on the type of poultry I process?

Yes, poultry must be wholesome, unadulterated and free from disease.
Back to Top

Do I have to keep records?

Yes, the person claiming the exemption must maintain clear and understandable records documenting the following:
  1. The person raised the poultry since it was two weeks of age or younger.
  2. The year-to-date cumulative total of each species and total quantity of poultry slaughtered.
  3. Date of Slaughter.
  4. Sales records (species, quantity and date of sale).
  5. Address of the poultry business.
  6. Sanitation Logs documenting slaughter, cleaning, warewashing, chemical use and any other records required by the ODA.
These records must be made available to ODA inspectors on request.
Back to Top

Can poultry be sold to restaurants or institutions?

No, poultry processed under the Poultry Bill must be sold directly to the end consumer.
Back to Top

Can I cut up, grind or further process poultry?

No, poultry processed under the Poultry Bill must be sold as a whole carcass.
Back to Top

Can poultry under the Poultry Bill enter interstate commerce?

No, poultry processed under the Poultry Bill may not enter interstate commerce. This includes selling poultry to residents of another state who intend to return to their state with poultry processed under the Poultry Bill
Back to Top

Are there any labeling requirements?

Yes, any poultry processed under the Poultry Bill must meet standard labeling requirements outlined in ORS 616.325 and must be labeled with legible typed lettering a minimum of 1/4-inch in height stating "THIS PRODUCT MAY NOT LEAVE THE STATE OF OREGON".

Standard labeling requirements include product description (including species and type of cut), farm name, complete farm address (or city, state and zip code if your farm is listed in a local directory) and safe handling instructions.


Back to Top

Can I freeze poultry after slaughter, to hold for a customer?

Back to Top

Are firms processing under the Poultry Bill inspected by the

Firms processing under the Poultry Bill are not placed on a routine inspection schedule by the ODA. However, at the department's discretion, the ODA may conduct an unscheduled inspection of an exempt poultry slaughtering facility and its records. Failure to conduct activities in accordance with the Poultry Bill will make a person or poultry business subject to the licensing provisions of ORS 603.025 and 616.706 and all applicable regulations and penalties.
Back to Top

Do I need to comply with waste disposal requirements?

The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) regulates waste discharge in Oregon. Up to 20-tons (40,000 pounds) of slaughter and processing waste can be composted on-site anually without a permit as long as the composting process does not adversely affect surface or ground water. If waste is disposed of at permitted landfills or into sanitary sewer systems then firms raising, slaughtering or processing poultry does not need to contact the DEQ or ODA regarding waste disposal.

If waste is applied to crops or land then a permit may be required. T
he DEQ delegates the ODA, Natural Resources Department (NRD) Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) to issue permits to firms who apply liquid animal waste (from raising, slaughtering or processing) to agricultural land. Additionally, the ODA, NRD Water Quality Program helps ensure that Oregon's agricultural operations comply with the Clean Water Act and the Oregon Agricultural Water Quality Management Act. Prior to treating wastewater on-site, firms must contact the DEQ at (503) 229-5696. Prior to land application of liquid waste, firms must contact the ODA, NRD at (503) 986-4700.

Back to Top

Am I required to construct a poultry processing building?

 The Oregon Administrative Rules distinguish between two different types of exemption under the Poultry Bill, Off-Farm Sale Exemption and On-Farm Sale Exemption.
Off-Farm Direct Sale Exemption:
  1. This exemption allows an individual to sell poultry away from the farm directly to the end consumer (i.e. farmers market sales).
  2. In order to qualify under the Off-Farm Sale Exemption, an individual must provide a poultry processing building in compliance with ODA poultry processing building and facilities requirements (ORS 619.026 and OAR 603-028-0100).
On-Farm Direct Sale Exemption:
  1. This exemption restricts an individual to on-farm sales only, meaning direct sales to the end consumer who comes to the processing location to purchase poultry.
  2. Under the On-Farm Sale Exemption, poultry processing can be conducted with minimal building and facilities and a poultry processing building is not required. Poultry must be "reasonably" protected, which can be accomplished with a combination of a canopy, tarps, and floor mats. 
  3. Limiting sales of poultry processed under minimal building and facilities gives consumers some capacity to assess sanitation, building and facilities themselves when they purchase poultry.

Back to Top

Who do I contact if I have questions about poultry slaughter?

Back to Top