Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Licensing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.  I have a Commercial Applicators license, but am currently unemployed.  Can I still get my license?

Yes, you can have a license, but you cannot make applications unless or until you begin work with a business that holds a Commercial Operators license. You will need to contact the ODA’s Pesticides Division before you begin working for a licensed business. If you choose to work for yourself, you also will need to be licensed as a Commercial Operator.

2.  What license category would be needed to apply herbicides to the cracks and crevices of sidewalks or parking areas?

There are two potential options for this type of treatment. If an individual is predominately making herbicide applications to turf or ornamentals and the sidewalk/parking areas are part of those treatments, applicators should have Turf and Ornamental-Herbicide category. If the applications are part of an effort to completely clear out an area for safety or transportation related concerns, and there are no ornamental applications — then an applicator should have the Right-of-Way category on their license.

3.  A Commercial or Public Applicator with a currently active license wishes to also get an Apprentice license to train in a category that they are not licensed in….does this person need to take the Laws & Safety exam again for the Apprentice license?

No. If the applicator is current on their license they can apply for an Apprentice license without taking the Laws & Safety exam again. However, in order to maintain the license for the following year, they will need to complete eight recertification credits — of which 4 hours of credit must be “Core”.
4.  I am a Commercial Applicator with my own business.  Do I also need a Commercial Operator’s License?
Yes. You do need a Commercial Operator’s License if you work for yourself, or own your own business. However, if you are a sole proprietor, you only have to pay for the Operator License and not the Operator License AND the Applicator License.  Corporations and partnerships need to pay for both the applicator license and the Operator license.

5.  I work for a public entity and have a Public Applicator’s license.  Can I be hired to make pesticide applications in my own time — outside of work?

No. A public applicator’s license only allows a person to work for the public entity. If you wish to make commercial pesticide applications for work/hire, you will need to be licensed as a Commercial Pesticide Applicator and/or Operator — and only make applications under licensed categories.

6.  I own a landscape maintenance company and at times I make Round-Up or other pesticide applications.  Do I need a pesticide applicator’s license?

Not necessarily.  A pesticide applicator’s license, Commercial Operator’s license, or apprentice or trainee licenses are not needed by individuals doing primarily landscape maintenance work if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
​1. No restricted-use pesticides (RUPs) are used.
​2. No mechanically powered equipment is used
​3. The landscape company, employee or owner does not specify the use of pesticides in invoices, advertising, bids, or contracts
​4. Pesticide applications are ONLY made on single-family residences (no commercial properties, apartment buildings, office complexes, or businesses).
If you do not satisfy all of the requirements then you will need a Commercial Applicator’s license and a Commercial Operator’s license.

7.  I have passed the new soil fumigation exam in Washington State.  Is there reciprocity for that category in Oregon, or do I need to take Oregon’s soil fumigation exam?

The new soil fumigation exam is an EPA approved test. Reciprocity is covered for this category in Oregon if you have passed either the Washington or Idaho soil fumigation exam, so you do not need to take Oregon’s soil fumigation category exam. However, when you apply for the Oregon license you will need to provide a copy of your Washington or Idaho license with proof that you passed the exam in the other state.

8.  I have a Commercial Applicator’s license with categories of Agriculture-Herbicide, Agriculture-Insecticide, Turf & Ornamental — Insecticide/Fungicide and Turf & Ornamental-Herbicide.  Can I switch to a Consultant’s license?

No. You will need to take and pass the Consultant’s exam in order to apply for the Consultant’s license.

9. Can a Pesticide Apprentice or Immediately Supervised Pesticide Trainee working for a Public entity also be supervised by a Commercial entity?
Yes. An Apprentice or Trainee may work with any fully licensed supervisor who is willing to take on the responsibility and training of the Apprentice or Trainee.