Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Special licensing situations

Do I need a license?

Licensing is needed when:

  1. buying or applying restricted-use pesticides
  2. applying pesticides (including herbicides) to someone else's property (for information on aerial pesticide applications, see "Aerial pesticide applicator responsibilities in Oregon"​)
  3. applying pesticides as a public employee while using a fuel or electric-powered sprayer or spreader.
  4. applying pesticides on school property.
  5. giving advice on how to use a restricted-use pesticide or which restricted-use pesticide will work best.
Licensing is NOT needed when:
  1. applying a pesticide on a person's owned or leased property (no restricted-use pesticide applications)
  2. applying a pesticide on property owned or leased by an employer while acting as an employee (no restricted-use pesticide applications)
  3. giving advice on general-use pesticides
  4. performing structural pest inspections for individuals buying or selling a home (see Pest inspector section below)
  5. applying a pesticide while doing lawn maintenance if all of the following are true:
  • Applications are to small residential lawns or gardens only - no applications to commercial properties.
  • Not using restricted-use pesticides.
  • Not using fuel or electric-powered sprayers or spreaders.
  • The use of pesticides is not stated in advertisements, contracts or invoices.

Back to Top

Pest inspector

Home inspectors doing structural pest (wood destroying organism-WDO) inspections might need the commercial pesticide applicator license. Some lenders, such as Farmer's Home Administration (FHA) and Veteran's Administration (VA) require the inspector to be a licensed pesticide applicator to conduct WDO inspections for real estate transactions. The State of Oregon only requires this license for those who apply pesticides. Pesticide inspectors generally take the laws & safety and IIHS structural pest tests.
Back to Top

Construction contractor

Call Oregon Construction Contractor's Board (CCB) for details on non-pest (plumbing, electrical, etc.) home inspector licensing. Businesses that make changes or repairs (including pest damage repairs) to buildings should also call the CCB at 503-378-4621 ext. 4900.
Back to Top

Public agency projects

Generally, public applicators may only apply pesticides to their employer's property. However, in some cases, applications to private land or other public agency land may be allowed. Public agencies may not get a commercial pesticide operator license. Please call ODA for details at 503-986-4635.
Back to Top