Animal Import and Export

​​​Several agencies are involved in the keeping of exotic animals in Oregon. 


Local city and/or county ordinances may apply and should be investigated prior to acquiring an exotic animal.


As of January 1, 2010 the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) no longer issues new exotic animal permits. ODA continues to regulate those facilities maintaining exotic animals prior to the January 1, 2010 date.  

Exotic animals are defined in Oregon as:

  • Non-human primates
  • Bears, except for the American Black Bear
  • Non-indigenous canines which are not domestic or domestic crosses
  • Non-indigenous felines which are not domestic or domestic crosses
  • Crocodilians
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) regulates indigenous wildlife and non-native wildlife species. 


The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates: 

  • Dealers
  • Exhibitors
  • Transporters
  • Researchers
This work is carried out by USDA-APHIS. Possession of a USDA breeder or exhibitor license exempts the holder from ODA permit requirements.


Oregon law (ORS 609.345) allows for certain exemptions to permit requirements such as law enforcement agencies, educational facilities, research facilities, permitted wildlife rehabilitation centers, and disabled persons with service monkeys.  

A certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI), import permit, and other species-specific tests will be required for those exotic animals imported into the state destined for permitted facilities or under an exemption.


Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW)

(503) 947-6000
ODFW agency website

ORS 609.345 - Exceptions to permit requirement

Law or rule

USDA-APHIS Animal Care

(970) 494-7478
(970) 472-9558



Animal Health
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4680