If you are going to use your scale or meter commercially, then you may need a license.
If you own a scale and buy, sell, or trade it is likely that Oregon law requires the scale to be licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA).
Oregon law requires the scale to be licensed in the following cases:
- It measures product in mass units
- It is used to value a product when ownership is transferred from seller to buyer
Commercial scales must be licensed regardless of the application. Mass flow meters used to weigh product are considered commercial scales.
If a parcel must be weighed as a part of a transaction then the scale used must be a licensed commercial scale even if the parcel weight is not directly used to determine price.
Commercial meters are used to measure in volume units instead of weight.
- Oregon law requires the meter to be licensed if it is used to meter fuel in a commercial transaction.
- Commercial meters of all types must conform to the legal requirements set forth in ORS 646 and OAR 603-027, however only those used to sell fuel are required to be licensed.
Commercial measuring devices must conform to the requirements in ORS 646 and OAR 603-027 in order to be licensed by ODA.
Requirements include the following:
- A valid National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) Certificate of Conformance (COC)
- Proper installation and adjustment
- Meeting specifications and tolerances found in NIST Handbook 44
- Placed in service report (PISR) is completed and returned to the ODA Weights and Measures Program along with your application and fee(s).
- Once license fees are received by ODA it will be legal for you to use your device(s).
- When an ODA Weights and Measures investigator is in your area, he will inspect and test the newly installed device to verify that it meets all of the requirements.
You may purchase a scale or meter through a service company or hire a service company to install, repair, and assist in the licensing process. ODA can provide a list of service companies, however we are unable to recommend a specific company.
All licenses are issued with each fiscal year beginning on July 1 and expiring on June 30 of the following year. Licenses and fees cannot be prorated. Licensing fees for the next fiscal are collected beginning on May 15.
Licenses are transferable. Please send written notification of change of ownership to the ODA Licensing Office.
Note that your license is for operating a commercial measuring device and is not specific to a particular device. If you purchase a new commercial scale or meter to replace a similar device you must file a placed in service report for that device, however your existing license may still be valid. An ODA investigator will help you determine if a new license is required when the initial device inspection is completed.
Placed in service large capacity scales
Placed in service report information booklet
A question and answer format for information on Placed in Service Reports as well as their requirements in Oregon Administrative Rule. Document
Placed in service small scale
Scales 0-1,160 lb Document
Weights and Measures license application form
Weights and Measures schedule of licensing fees
Weights and Measures staff directory