The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) receives grant funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to enhance the competitiveness of Oregon's specialty crops. ODA accepts competitive applications for specialty crop grant funds annually.
Solely enhance the competitiveness of US specialty crops
To be eligible for a grant, the project(s) must "solely enhance the competitiveness of US specialty crops" in either domestic or foreign markets.
Crops that are eligible
- Tree nuts
- Dried fruits
- Christmas trees
- Turf type grasses
- Nursery crops (including floriculture and horticulture)
A complete list of eligible and ineligible crops under the grant program can be found at the USDA specialty crop block grant website.
Applicants are encouraged to read program guidelines document for full eligibility requirements prior to submitting a proposal.
The following organizations can submit projects that aim to enhance the production and competitiveness of Oregon’s specialty crop industries:
- Non-profit organizations
- Government entities
- For-profit organizations
- Industry trade associations
- Producer groups
- Commodity commissions
- Public and private colleges/universities
- Grant funds will not be awarded for projects that directly benefit or provide profit only to a single organization, institution, or individual.
- Funds may not be used to purchase fixed assets or personal property.
- Expenditures incurred prior to grant award may not be included in the grant request or eligible for reimbursement.
- Administration or indirect costs (defined as expenses incurred in controlling or directing an organization, but not directly identifiable with financing, marketing, or production operations) cannot be paid for with these grant funds.
Timeline (subject to change)
|January 8, 2016
||Request for concept proposals published|
|Now available to view
||Concept proposal overview video|
|Now available to view
Concept proposal Q&A session (recorded webinar)
|February 23, 2016 - Noon
||Concept proposals due to ODA|
|April 13, 2016
||Invitation by ODA to submit full grant proposals|
||Training posted online: Full grant proposal|
|April 27 through May 12
||One-on-one full grant proposal consultations by appt.|
|May 20, 2016 - Noon
||Full grant proposals due to ODA|
|June 13, 2016
||Subgrantee partners selected by ODA|
|July 1, 2016
||ODA state application submitted to USDA|
Oregon SCBGP Program Guidelines
Oregon SCBGP Project Summary 2013
Oregon SCBGP Project Summary 2014
Oregon SCBGP Project Summary 2015
Oregon Specialty Crop Block Grant Program—Concept Proposal form
USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program Information