The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) receives grant funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to enhance the competitiveness of Oregon's specialty crops. ODA accepts competitive applications for specialty crop grant funds annually.
Solely enhance the competitiveness of US specialty crops
To be eligible for a grant, the project(s) must "solely enhance the competitiveness of US specialty crops" in either domestic or foreign markets.
Crops that are eligible
- Tree nuts
- Dried fruits
- Christmas trees
- Turf type grasses
- Nursery crops (including floriculture and horticulture)
A complete list of eligible and ineligible crops under the grant program can be found at the USDA specialty crop block grant website.
Applicants are encouraged to read program guidelines document for full eligibility requirements prior to submitting a proposal.
The following organizations can submit projects that aim to enhance the production and competitiveness of Oregon’s specialty crop industries:
- Non-profit organizations
- Government entities
- For-profit organizations
- Industry trade associations
- Producer groups
- Commodity commissions
- Public and private colleges/universities
- Grant funds will not be awarded for projects that directly benefit or provide profit only to a single organization, institution, or individual.
- Funds may not be used to purchase fixed assets or personal property.
- Expenditures incurred prior to grant award may not be included in the grant request or eligible for reimbursement.
- Administration or indirect costs (defined as expenses incurred in controlling or directing an organization, but not directly identifiable with financing, marketing, or production operations) cannot be paid for with these grant funds.
Timeline (subject to change)
|January 5, 2018
||Request for proposals published|
|January 23, 2018
||Recorded video: Online training posted|
|**Q & A Webinar CANCELLED**
||Please direct questions to Shannon & Gabrielle|
|February 27, 2018 (noon)
||Full grant proposals due to ODA|
|April 2–9, 2018
||Subgrantee partners selected by ODA|
|May 2, 2018
||ODA state application submitted to USDA|
||Award announcements from USDA|