The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) receives grant funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to enhance the competitiveness of Oregon's specialty crops. ODA accepts competitive applications for specialty crop grant funds annually.
Crops that are eligible
- Tree nuts
- Dried fruits
- Nursery crops (including floriculture and horticulture)
Crops that are not eligible
- Feed crops
- Food grains
- Dairy products
- Seafood products
- Oil seed crops
A complete list of eligible crops under the grant program can be found at the USDA specialty crop block grant website.
The following organizations can submit projects that aim to enhance the production and competitiveness of Oregon’s specialty crop industries:
- Non-profit organizations
- Government entities
- For-profit organizations
- Industry trade associations
- Producer groups
- Commodity commissions
- Grant funds will not be awarded for projects that directly benefit or provide profit only to a single organization, institution, or individual.
- Funds may not be used to purchase fixed assets or personal property.
- Expenditures incurred prior to grant award may not be included in the grant request or eligible for reimbursement.
- Administration or indirect costs (defined as expenses incurred in controlling or directing an organization, but not directly identifiable with financing, marketing, or production operations) cannot be paid for with these grant funds.
Timeline (subject to change)
|January 5, 2015
||Online training posted: Concept proposals|
|February 6, 2015 - TBD
||Live - Q&A Session (webinar): Concept proposal|
|February 24, 2015 (12 pm-Noon)
||Concept proposals due to ODA|
|April 6, 2015
||Invitation by ODA to submit full grant proposals|
|April 13, 2015
||Training posted online: Full grant proposal|
|Week of April 20 through May 1
||One-on-one full grant proposal conusltations by appt.|
|May 12, 2015 (12 pm-Noon)
||Full grant proposals due to ODA|
|June 10, 2015
||Subgrantee partners selected by ODA|
|July 1, 2015
||ODA state application submitted to USDA|
Oregon SCBGP Program Guidelines (2014)
Oregon SCBGP Project Summary 2012
Oregon SCBGP Project Summary 2013
Oregon SCBGP Project Summary 2014
USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program Information