Board of Forestry Meeting: November 4 and 5, 2010
|Thursday and Friday, November 4 and 5, 2010
November 4, Thursday - Field Tour: Sudden Oak Death, Brookings, Oregon
Best Western Beachfront Inn, 16008 Boat Basin Road, Brookings, Oregon 97415
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The Board will meet for a field tour of the Sudden Oak Death (Phytophthora ramorum) quarantine area near Brookings, Oregon. Sudden Oak Death (SOD) was discovered in Oregon in 2001. SOD is a plant pathogen that kills oaks and other species and in Oregon is primarily killing tanoak trees in the Brookings area. The tour and discussion will focus on the SOD eradication and host reduction efforts by the agencies and landowners involved, including funding, detection, treatment, monitoring and research.
Tour briefing will be held at 9:00 a.m. at the Best Western Beachfront Inn, 16008 Boat Basin Road, Brookings, Oregon 97415. Members of the public wishing to join the Board are asked to bring their lunch and provide their own transportation.
Tour Guide - Sudden Oak Death in Oregon Forests [13.3 MB]
Forest Health Fact Sheet - Sudden Oak Death [1.76 MB]
Sudden Oak Death Pamphlet [1.7 MB]
Forest Health Highlights in Oregon - 2009 [1.36 MB]
Pre-tour Presentation Slides - Phytophthora [10.7 MB]
November 5, Friday – Public Business Meeting
Best Western Beachfront Inn, 16008 Boat Basin Road, Brookings, Oregon 97415
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Note: All files are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
Board of Forestry, November 4 and 5 Agenda [39 KB]
|Item 1 Consent Agenda and Opening Comments [4.6 MB; 20 mins]
Item 2 Draft Rules for Appeals to Board [2.5 MB; 11 mins]
Item 3 Private Forests Program Policy [12.3 MB; 54 mins]
Item 4 Planning Rule Discussion [12.4 MB; 54 mins]
Item 5 Executive Session Announcement [185 KB; 1 min]
Item 6 Elliott State Forest Plan Revision [4 MB; 17 mins]
Item 7 2010 Biennial Performance Measure Report [5.2 MB; 23 mins]
Item 8 Carbon Project [11.2 MB; 49 mins]
Item 9 Climate Change Work Group Update [6.9 MB; 30 mins]
Item 10 Priority Set of Issues for 2010-2011 [9.2 MB; 40 mins]
Item 11 State Forester Recruitment Plan [10.9 MB; 47 mins]
Items may not be listed in order heard.
|Meeting Minutes and Attachments
|November 5, 2010
Meeting Minutes - November 5, 2010 [101 KB]
1. Handout, Committee for Family Forestlands Letter, Agenda Item 1A [266 KB]
2. Staff Handout, Private Forests Policy Implementation Report, Agenda Item 3 [330 KB]
3. Staff Handout, USDA Report - Private Forests, Public Benefits: Increased Housing Density and Other Pressures on Private Forest Contributions, Agenda Item 3
4. Presentation, Private Forests Policy Discussion, Agenda Item 3 [1.17 MB]
5. Staff Handout, Planning Rule OAR 629-035-0030, Agenda Item 4 [307 KB]
6. Presentation, Planning Rule Discussion, Agenda Item 4 [489 KB]
7. Staff Handout, State Forests Performance Measures Report, November 2010, Agenda Item 7 [873 KB]
8. Staff Handout, Summary of 2010 State Forests Performance Measure Report, Agenda Item 7 [316 KB]
9. Staff Handout, Ecosystem Service Markets Forest Carbon, Agenda Item 8 [1.52 MB]
10. Presentation, Gilchrist Carbon Project, Agenda Item 8 [1.74 MB]
11. Public Comment Handout, Matt Delaney, Delaney Forestry Services, Agenda Item 8 [344 KB]
12. Presentation, Board of Forestry Strategic Planning, Agenda Item 10 [541 KB]
13. Staff Handout, Draft State Foresters Position Description, Agenda Item 11 [1.14 MB]
14. Handout, Committee for Family Forestlands Letter, Agenda Item 11 [293 KB]
15. Public Comment Handout, Bob Van Dyk, OregonLive Article, Agenda Item 11 [270 KB]
| Friday, November 5, 2010: Public Business Meeting
Item A. Administrative Work Plan 0,
Intermediate Board Issue 5 – Approval of Meeting Minutes - September 8, 2010
Item B. Strategic Planning, Implementation and Monitoring Work Plan 1,
Intermediate Board Issue 1 – Building Oregonians’ understanding, acceptance, and support for sustainable forest management.
Oregon Roundtable on Sustainable Forests Status Report [32 KB]
1. Oregon Roundtable on Sustainable Forests Declaration of Cooperation, as of September 30, 2010 [948 KB]
Item C. Private Forests Work Plan 6,
Intermediate Board Issue 1 – Overall FPA Rule Enforcement Policy Review
Forestry Pesticide Policy Workshop [1 KB]
1. Session I. Board Workshop on Forest Pesticide Policy [24 KB]
Action and Information
Item 1. State Forester and Board Member Comments, Administrative Work Plan 0,
Intermediate Board Issue 6 State Forester and Board Member Comments [1 KB]
Item 1A. Public Comments on Non-Agenda Topics, Administrative Work Plan 0,
Intermediate Board Issue 6 Public Comments [19 KB]
Item 2. Administrative Work Plan 0, Intermediate Board Issue 2 – Governance –
Draft Rules for Appeals to Board regarding Chapter 477 [23 KB]
Review of draft rules related to landowner appeals developed for potential revision of the administrative rule.
1. Draft Rules for Appeals and Hearings Under ORS 477.260 [24 KB]
2. Relevant Statutes [26 KB]
Item 3. Private Forests Work Plan 6, Intermediate Board Issue 0 – Work Plan Management–Private Forests Program Policy Implementation [20 KB]
Continued Board review and discussion on Private Forests Program policy implementation.
Item 4. State Forests Work Plan 2, Intermediate Board Issue10 –
Review and consider revising OAR 629-035-0020, -0030 – Planning Rule Discussion [51 KB]
Discussion surrounding the State Forests planning rule.
Item 5. Executive Session. Administrative Work Plan 0, Intermediate Board Issue 9 – Pursuant to ORS 192.660(2)(h), the Board will meet in Executive Session to consult with legal counsel.
Item 6. State Forests Work Plan 2, Intermediate Board Issue 7 –Elliott State Forest –
Update on the Elliott State Forests plan revision project [32 KB]
Progress report to the Board on the Elliott State Forest planning project.
Item 7. State Forests Work Plan 2, Intermediate Board Issue 5 –Improve the Board’s Performance Measures for the State Forests Division–
2010 Biennial Performance Measure Report [23 KB]
Presentation of highlights from the State Forests Performance Measure Report.
1. Board of Forestry State Forests Performance Report, November 2010 [873 KB]
Item 8. State Forests Work Plan 2, Intermediate Board Issue 4 –Gilchrist acquisition
Carbon Project [35 KB]
Progress report and Board direction on listing project.
Item 9. Administrative Work Plan 0, Intermediate Board Issue 3 –Research Requests and Special Reports –
Forest Climate Change Work Group Update [26 KB]
Presentation to the Board of two draft documents related to the Forest Climate Change Work Group strategies and goals for Board review and endorsement.
1. 2010 Forestry Roadmap to 2020 - Report to the Oregon Global Warming Commission [233 KB]
Item 10. Strategic Planning, Implementation and Monitoring Work Plan 1, Intermediate Board Issue 4 – Develop and implement Board Work Plans to achieve Forestry Program for Oregon goals and statutory responsibilities –
Board’s Priority Set of Issues for 2010-2011 [32 KB]
Status review of the Board’s progress to date in addressing the Priority Set of Issues for work in calendar years 2010 and 2011 approved at the November 2009 meeting.
1. September 20, 2010 Status Report: Priority Set of Issues for Board of Forestry Work for Calendar Years 2010 and 2011. [50 KB]
2. National Association of State Foresters publication: State Forestry Agency Perspectives Regarding 2009 Federal Wildfire Policy Implementation (referenced under Wildfire Risk Reduction Work Plan Task 3) [169 KB]
Item 11. Administrative Work Plan 0, Intermediate Board Issue 2 –Governance
State Forester Recruitment Plan
The Board will review, take public comment, and adopt the hiring standards, criteria, and policy directives associated with hiring Oregon’s next State Forester. This will include review of the draft job posting, draft recruitment plan, and draft stakeholder survey.
1. Oregon State Forester Recruitment Plan Draft [241 KB]
2. Draft Job Posting for Oregon State Forester [255 KB]
3. Explanation of Job Posting Language [237 KB]
4. Stakeholder Feedback Survey Draft [25 KB]