Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

History Center photos Highway Equipment
Introduction
This page is devoted to historical photographs of ODOT's Highway Equipment. This is just a sampling of the many photographs in the History Center.
 
Historical records, correspondence and photographs dating back to the late 1800's are stored at the ODOT History Center in Room 5 of the Transportation Building in Salem, Oregon.

The documents in the History Center are public records and open to inspection, as well as being available to copy.  The History Center has space available for old records, including photographs, which are not being used in daily work.  If you have any questions about the center, contact Pat Solomon, Archivist at (503) 986-3284 or FAX (503) 986-4025.
 
To get back to the main History Center page, click here.

Oiler

 
Oil truck
 Oil truck, 1940's
 
 
Pierce Oiler
 Pierce oiler, 1928
 

 
heating oil
Heating apparatus used in transferring oil from railroad car to oiler, Old Oregon Trail Hwy., 1926

Road Magnet

 
Road Magnet
 Road Magnet 
 

 
Road Magnet
 Picking Up Nails and Bolts
 

 
Newspaper Article on Road Magnet
From article in Salem, Oregon paper dated January 16, 1957:
Huge Magnet Pulling Scrap From Freeway
Operation of the Oregon state highway department's truck-mounted electro-magnet last week on the Baldock Freeway between Portland and Salem, gathered an average of two pounds of scrap metal per mile on the surface and shoulders of the freeway.
The scrap metal consisted of items ranging from bottle cans, wiper blades, bolts and screwdrivers to breather-caps, a hubcap, a fender skirt, and an automobile drive shaft, the largest item.
Provides Driver Safety
Purpose of the magnet, Highway Department officials explained, is as a safety measure to remove metal scrap from the highway which often causes flat tires and accidents.  The main highways of the state are cleaned methodically by the road magnet traveling at a speed of eight to ten miles an hour, at least once a year.  Six trips were made last year on Highway US99 with an average of one pound of scrap for every mile.
Loose Manhole Cover
Driven by a powerful industrial engine, an electric generator produces 220 volts at 25 amperes which gives the magnet a hefty pull.  In one instance, the magnet lifted a loose manhole cover from its place.
In some areas of the state, where hauling scrap metal by truck is prevalent, the average poundage of scrap metal is materially increased.  On highway US30 between Portland and Scappoose there has been an average of 10 pounds of scrap metal per mile picked up the by the road magnet per year.

 

Scraper/Graders/Rollers

 
Scraper
Siskiyou-State Line, Pac. Hwy, Blading 4½-2 base material, 1940
 

 
Tow Blade
1927 truck pulling a pull grader - often called a 'tow blade'.
 

 
Scraper
 Scraper at Wapinitia Summit, 1929
 
Road broom
 Road broom
 

 
Wire drag
 Wire drag (like a broom) used on gravel roads.
 

 
Blade
 Blade, 1929
 

 
Blade
 Powered road grader, often called a 'blade' mid - late 1920's model.
 

 
Patching Roller
State patching roller South of Canyon Creek Pass, Pacific Hwy near Azalea, August 6, 1940
 

 
Sheep's Foot Roller
 Sheep's foot roller & 2 dump trucks, 1940
 

 
Gasoline Concrete Roller
 Gasoline Concrete Roller, 1914
 

 
Steam Roller
 Steam Roller, often called Locomotives

Snow Plows

 
Snow Plow
 Snow plow in action, near 1948
 

 
Early Rotary Snow Plow
 Early Rotary Snow Plow
 

 
SnoGo
 Three auger rotary SnoGo
 

 
Snow Blast
Snowblast model R-1500L/HS.  The only balanced arrangement of rotary and loader. The first hydrostatic power train. Cost in 1969 was $60,000
 

Trucks

 Highway Truck
 Highway truck from late 1930's
 

 
Highway Truck Shops
Equipment shops in Salem showing various equipment.  Some WWI military surplus, others are new units of the 1920's.  The only building still standing is to the right
in the rear (with the tall smokestack).  When this photo was taken it was used as a service building and is now used as ODOT's Museum
 

 
Highway Trucks
1940 Chevrolet & Ford 1½ - 2 yard dump trucks.  Six Fords, 2 Chevrolets with surplus WWI trailer converted and outfitted to be a gasoline dispensing unit.