Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Motorcycle Instruction Permit & Endorsement
Motorcycle Instruction Permit

If you are 16 or older you can apply for a motorcycle instruction permit. This permit allows you to ride a motorcycle with specific restrictions. For more information, see the Motorcycle & Moped Manual.

Motorcycle Endorsement

If you are 16 or older you can apply for a motorcycle endorsement. An unrestricted motorcycle endorsement allows you to ride any motorcycle. A restricted motorcycle endorsement only allows you to ride a 3-wheel motorcycle. For information see the Motorcycle & Moped Manual.

If you have a valid motorcycle-endorsed license from another state, the District of Columbia, a United States Territory or a Canadian Province, you can transfer that endorsement to your Oregon license without testing or training. Tell us that you want to keep your endorsement when you apply for your driver license. Make sure that the endorsement is on your license before you leave the office by looking for an M on the front of your license under Endorsements. If your license is issued without the endorsement, you must take any test or training required to add it later.

Testing and Training

You must pass an approved motorcycle rider education course from TEAM OREGON to get an unrestricted motorcycle endorsement if you don’t have a valid endorsement from another state.
You must pass the motorcycle knowledge test and motorcycle skills test at DMV to get a 3-wheel restricted endorsement. There are no fees for the tests. The information needed to take the motorcycle knowledge and skills tests is in the Motorcycle & Moped Manual. See the DMV Offices Offering Motorcycle Skills Tests page to find a testing location near you.