Prior to taking the drive test, the applicant must come to a DMV office, take (and pass) the knowledge test and vision screening. The applicant then contacts the private business directly to make the drive test appointment.
After passing the drive test, the applicant has 30 days to bring the test results to DMV. DMV will only issue if an applicant meets all qualifications for a license, including observing the necessary wait time if there is a test failure.
Things to remember:
- DMV is not involved in scheduling, canceling or re-scheduling the drive tests. Contact the business directly.
- You must bring picture ID to the drive test. The business may also request that you bring a photocopy of that ID.
- Check with the drive test business about whether they have test vehicles available or whether you need to provide your own vehicle.
- You must be eligible to take a drive test:
- You must be 16 years of age or older. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have held an instruction permit for a minimum of six months.
- You must have passed the knowledge test and vision screening at a DMV office.
- You must not have suspended or revoked driving privileges in Oregon or any other state.
- If you have previously failed a drive test, you have observed the wait time between tests (see below).
- Drive tests administered by a private business are not for individuals in the At-Risk Driver Program or who require the addition or removal of an adaptive equipment restriction.
- After passing the drive test, you will be given a sealed envelope containing a certificate of test completion and a copy of the photo ID you presented at the drive test. Do not open the envelope.
- You must bring the sealed envelope to DMV within 30 days of passing the drive test. You will need to provide acceptable proof of your identity even though you provided the documentation to DMV when you took the knowledge test. To be issued your license, be prepared to provide additional application requirements.
Wait Time Requirements After Failing Drive Test:
Under 18 Years of Age:
You also must have held a valid Oregon Instruction Permit for at least 28 days before taking a second or subsequent test.
18 Years of Age and Older:
- After 1st failed test: Wait at least 7 days
After 2nd failed test: Wait at least 14 days
After 3rd or 4th failed test: wait at least 28 day
After 5th failed test: Wait at least one year