Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Transferring an Oregon Title When the Title is Lost


If you bought a vehicle but the title is lost, you may be able to get a title replacement and transfer the title to your name in one transaction with DMV.
A title replacement and transfer may be completed in one transaction if:
  • The vehicle is not subject to odometer requirements; or
  • If one current registered owner will be remaining on the title.
If the vehicle is subject to odometer requirements, the owner of the vehicle as listed on the title must first get a replacement title. The owner must disclose the odometer on the title and provide the title to the buyer. 
Please note that DMV can issue a replacement title only if the title is lost, destroyed, or damaged. Someone must also certify what happened to the original title on the Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515). A stolen title is considered lost only if an unknown party with no possible ownership interest stole it. You cannot apply for a replacement title when you know, or believe you know, who stole or possesses the title. 
If you need to replace or transfer a title because one or more owners are deceased, see our Inheriting a Vehicle page.
For clarification or further information, please contact DMV.

How To Apply
To replace and transfer a vehicle title, follow the set of instructions that applies to your transaction:
Title Transfer without Registration Renewal
Follow these instructions to transfer title only. Title Transfer with Registration Renewal
Follow these instructions if the car does not have plates or the tags have expired, or are close to expiration and you wish to renew. 
  • Fill out an Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515):
  • Provide release(s) of interest from all previous owners, using the: 
  • Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226) if also applying for registration:
  • Pass an emissions test at DEQ if you live in the Portland Area or the Rogue Valley (Medford);
  • Choose license plates if the vehicle does not have plates:
    • If you choose a specialty plate, write the name of that plate in the “Remarks” section of your application,
    • You may transfer Oregon plates you own to your vehicle:
      • The plates must be a type that DMV still issues, or have a specialty background,
      • The plates must be in good condition and readable, and
      • The plates can only be transferred to the same type of vehicle,
    • When you transfer plates:
      • The expiration date of the registration will remain the same,
      • Expired plates cannot be transferred, unless registration fees are paid at the time of plate transfer,
      • You must pay a plate transfer fee of $6;
  • Figure and pay all applicable fees
  • Submit your completed applications, supporting materials and payment to DMV.
How To Submit Your Applications
If you are registering and need a temporary permit to drive your vehicle, you may submit your completed applications, supporting materials and payment to a DMV office (if all is in order, you may be able to get plates or stickers at the office), or mail your materials to the address below:
Oregon DMV
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Make checks or money orders payable to “Oregon DMV."  
Note: All DMV offices accept cash or checks and will be able to accept debit and credit cards for payment by the end of 2016. Certain DMV offices are already able to take debit and credit card payments.

How Long Will It Take
If your paperwork is accurate and complete when received at DMV Headquarters in Salem, and your payment is correct, your plates are generally mailed within 5-10 business days.
Titles are mailed to applicants about three to five weeks after DMV receives the necessary paperwork.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: