Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Parent or Legal Guardian Signature

If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your biological or adoptive parent or court-appointed legal guardian sign your application to obtain a driving privilege, such as the Driver License/ID Card Application (Form 735-173).

If you are under 18 and married, you are not required to obtain a parent or legal guardian's signature. Instead, you must present documentation showing that you are married.

If you are emancipated, you must present a copy of the judgment or decree of emancipation issued by the juvenile court. A parent or legal guardian's signature is not required.

Request to Cancel Driving Privileges

The parent or legal guardian who signed the application for a driving privilege may request that the driving privilege be canceled at any time until the child turns 18. The request must come from the same person who signed the application and must be submitted in writing. The Request to Cancel Driving Privileges by Parent or Legal Guardian (Form 735-7340), must be completed and sent to DMV (the instructions are on the form).

Obtaining Driving Privilege After Cancellation by Parent or Legal Guardian

A person whose driving privilege was canceled at the request of their parent or legal guardian may apply to regain their privileges when they turn 18, obtain a parent or legal guardian’s signature on an application again, are married, or become emancipated. Testing is not required unless the driving privilege has been expired for more than one year.

Related Information

Additional information that may be relevant includes: