The Business Regulation and Fraud Prevention Section is made up of three units: Business Licensing, Dealer Investigations, and Fraud Prevention.
Business Licensing Unit
The Business Licensing Unit issues business certificates (licenses) to the following regulated businesses:
- Vehicle Dealers;
- Vehicle Transporters;
- Vehicle Appraisers;
- Commercial Driver Training Schools;
- Commercial Driver Training Instructors;
- Snowmobile Instructors; and
- RV Show Organizers.
Dealer Investigations Unit
The Investigations Unit focuses on regulated businesses. Their main purpose is to:
- Check for compliance with the Oregon Vehicle Code;
- Conduct inspections;
- Review vehicle records;
- Review complaints;
- Investigate possible violations which may result in fines/sanctions;
- Investigate unlicensed dealers ("curbers") and dismantlers; and
- Provide training about vehicle laws, rules and policies.
Violations cited against dealers, dismantlers, and lien claimants can be viewed in DMV’s quarterly publication Dealer Details.
Fraud Prevention Unit
The purpose of the Fraud Prevention Unit is to facilitate and support management efforts to prevent, detect, investigate and prosecute incidents of DMV-related fraud.
Questions or More Information
For additional information or questions, email the Business Regulation and Fraud Prevention Section or contact the units directly:
- Business Licensing Unit: 503-945-5052;
- Dealer Investigations Unit: 503-945-5281; or
- Fraud Prevention Unit: 503-945-8913.