In order to qualify to instruct students, the school must be certified by DMV, and meet all qualifications, or be exempt from certification, as listed in OAR 735-160-0003 and -0010
(Driver Training). The school operator must either be a or employ one or more certified instructor(s).
In order to apply, you must:
- Complete a Commercial Driver Training School Application (Form 735-6050);
- Provide proof of:
- $2,500 bond
- Insurance in the amount of $50,000 for injury to or destruction of property, $100,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person, and $300,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons; and
- Schedule of maximum fees for instruction;
- Register your school name with the Secretary of State Corporation Division and provide the registry number;
- Provide a list of all instructors to be certified and training vehicles used by your school:
- Instructors must be qualified (see OAR 735-160-0075); and
- Training vehicles must be equipped with dual controls of a type approved by DMV (see OAR 735-160-0040); and
- Pay a $200 application fee.
Note: In using the OAR links above, you may need to scroll down to find the correct OAR reference. Note: Additional information and instructions are provided in the application form.
You may copy or print the application form
from your computer, or you may obtain a hardcopy form by calling DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.
You may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment by mail or in person to our office at:
Driver and Motor Vehicle Services
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
For more information, you may contact DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.